uv to cd help please

itriix

Hi there, i'm putting up two pics, one of a coke can mode that originally was .3ds, i brought into maya, then i had to export it from maya. i tried fbx and obj. BOTH work! If I apply a material and point it to a texture map, it shows up, i can render it out, it works! However, I need to get this into Cd. I've read many forum topics on this a while ago and thought i had a good handle on this. in the past i even created, as suggested in other discussions, a vopsop to handle coloring instead of using a pic function for getting texture color into Cd and even a voppop for applying texture color to particles. On everything until now, it has worked. so i'm confused what the issue with this particular case is. When i try to use the "colormap vopsop" to get this texture map into Cd, it destroys the texture map colors no matter what i try! I need this in Cd for particle coloring purposes though.

The "colormap" vopsop, (simply import uv attr, vec to float, wire the val1, val2 to s and t of colormap vop, plug this into cd)

the color turns into a weird messed up pattern! not like what has happened in the past. i feel like it should be because uv's, but if uv's weren't working correctly, the texture shouldn't show up from the "materials" that were applied to it... right?

Anyone have any clue how to fix this or what could be the issue with this?

Jonathan

coke.tiff

fdupcoke.tiff

Edited by itriix

i've tracked down something... the uv's were vertex attributes instead of point attributes. so i used an attribute promote... set it to Original Name: uv, Original Class: Vertex, New Class: Point, Promotion Method: Average. It seems to allow me to get the "colormap vopsop" to work...

So, word on the street is:

promoting the uv's from vertex to point, using the attributePromote, in order to get this to work with my "colormapVOP" isn't good practice necessarily... Especially in the case of a more complicated model. Therefore, I was just curious, what WOULD be the best way of doing this?

Thanks as always again,

Jonathan

So, word on the street is:

promoting the uv's from vertex to point, using the attributePromote, in order to get this to work with my "colormapVOP" isn't good practice necessarily... Especially in the case of a more complicated model. Therefore, I was just curious, what WOULD be the best way of doing this?

Thanks as always again,

Jonathan

still attr promote your uv's, but prior to doing that could you do a facet > unique pts. This will give you get your pt number to match your vertex number, ie creating more pts.

still attr promote your uv's, but prior to doing that could you do a facet > unique pts. This will give you get your pt number to match your vertex number, ie creating more pts.

Good Call! And a simple solution :) I like that even more.

Thanks,

Jonathan