OceanFx continous wave motion

Doum

hey all,

I use the shelf tool to create a wave tank (houdini 12.5) and I notice that the wave motion velocity is only acting at the first frame.

What can I do if I would like to keep this velocity affecting the flip fluid until a desire frame?

I saw a vel volume under the initial watertank geo and thought it could be use with a field force in dop, but when I try to use a sop vector field, it tell me that it's not a volume? Any better idea, I'm still new to houdini so maybe there is others ways that could be more effective.

Thanks

Doum

You can use the ocean vector field, the only catch is that you should mask it by the surface field when you bring it into the sim... I did that with a volume vop. If you don't do this, your splashes and such above the main body of water will get underlying ocean motion even while they're in the air. You then just need to multiply it down to 0.042 if you're working at 24fps (1/24) and add it to the vel field. I've attached a file that should be right -- I didn't test it much though since it's a bit late here. :)

Quick Edit: updated blast node name, and added volume trail to preview vels from masked volume.

FlipWaveTank_Continuous_h12.5.hipnc

Edited by Solitude
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

You can, but that's only if you are going to use an ocean plane, and not a fluid simulation. When you set up a flip simulation from the waves, which is what that shelf tool does, it only gives it an initial state to the fluid sim.

• 3 months later...

Hi Ian,

First off thanks for the great solution. Could you explain in a little more detail the use of the two blast nodes and how those group expressions are masking the velocities above the deformed grid?

Edited by Nate

Do you mean this expression? @name==vel.* It's somewhere in the help file, but can't remember exactly where... This is a syntax for saying @attribute==somevalue so in this case i'm matching the name attribute to a string so I can keep the velocity volume and the surfact volume. In the volume vop I'm just checking whether a voxel is inside or outside of the surface, and just using a switch to 'mask' the vel field by the surface. That syntax can also be used in the group field, like @Cd.x<0.5 to limit an operator to work on any point who's red channel is less than 0.5...

One way we were taught in HOU207 at fxphd: Create a wave tank with the shelf tool, go into the DOPnetwork and add a field force. In the field force you want to change the "force" to "vel", plug in a sopgeo taking in the OUT node from the fluidtank_initial. Remember to set the time and file path to update always. That should work.

If you want to hide the points in the viewport add a rendering parms volatile to the sopgeo and turn display to 0.

Edited by JonathanGranskg