Rendering Geometry inside an Object Network

Jason

Hi there,

Has anyone figured out (if it's even possible to) to render Geometry inside an Object Network node?

i.e, render the node: /obj/geo1/objnet1/geo1

For some reason, the Mantra/Renderman ROPs never spit out geometry into the IFD/RIB, no matter what I set in my ROP's Camera or Visible Objects fields, and no matter where I put my ROP Network.

Is there something I'm missing?

(Houdini 7.0.230)

Hey Jason,

I think you've found a bug... a similar thing used to happen with lights inside an object network, but that's fixed now. It basically doesn't descend recursively into each top-level OP... sees your null and decides there's nothing to render <_<

I got it to work by objmerging up one level (merging /obj/geo1/objnet1/geo2 at the /obj/geo1 level, replacing the null); but I know that doesn't help.

Bug, I say.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread, sorry! But it's for a good reason. I found this thread by searching because I was running into the same issue. I sent an email to SESI and got a quick response. For anyone else that runs into this in the future see below.

You will need to put a camera inside your object network. The scene geometry is dependent on which object network the camera is contained within.

• Like 2