Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dave Stewart

  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

18 Good

About Dave Stewart

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • Website URL https://vimeo.com/user6703993

Personal Information

  • Name Dave
  • Location Seattle, WA
  • Interests Music (I play mandolin and piano), Photography, 3D (FX particularly), Gaming (PC mainly), Hiking, Paddling

Recent Profile Visitors

1,460 profile views
  1. Pazuzu's file, slightly modified, would let you drive the surface tension field values based on a point viscosity attribute or whatever. Makes for some interesting shaping by the end! See attached modded file... --Dave pp_st_ds.hip
  2. Love these explorations! Looking forward to seeing an example of a CHOPs solution, seems ideal for this task. Need to learn more CHOPs, not enough time in the day...
  3. Here's another hacky way to do this, abusing a rest attribute to restore point positions after scaling by inverted pscale/resampling. Minimal code at least... --Dave resample_withRest_DS.hiplc
  4. Correct! That solution would be if you're sourcing from geometry or volumes, and the FLIP particles are created from that data and not from source points, as is the case with the "FLIP fluid from object" and "FLIP tank" shelf tools. Glad you got it working! --Dave
  5. You could also plug the expression $F==2 into the "Activation" of a Pop VOP/Wrangle and set your attributes in there. It'll run once and set the attributes on frame 2 (frame 1 doesn't work as the sim hasn't run yet?) --Dave
  6. They taste much better than they look, I promise!! --Dave
  7. Nice setup and render DaJuice! We have a sweet 3D printer here at work, figured it was about time I learned how to print something... First of many I hope! --Dave
  8. Yo Joh! <ducks and runs> I've found it really difficult to get initially highly-viscous sims to smooth out, even with really extreme settings, while still preserving folds/creases. Really curious if you guys figure anything else out on this. Alvaro, you may want to ditch the shelf setup for meshing and build a custom VDB setup that lets you better mask the VDB smoothing based on curvature/laplacian analysis. Hoping that H16 includes better meshing tools that are tailored to small-scale/viscous sims... --Dave
  9. Excellent work, excited to see the finished short! I'm always amazed by folks like yourself that can keep long-term focus going on a project like this and actually finish it. Funny on the turning 40 thing, I'm in the same boat, and was also getting pretty bored after using 3DSMax since v1. I've attached a setup I'm playing around with that might give you some ideas. Needs more work to be sure and there are probably better ways to achieve this, but it's a start. Be warned that it will want to cook the entire 100 frames no matter what frame you're on, due to a time shift node I have in there. Let me know if you have any questions about the setup... Can't help ya with the sprite rendering unfortunately, but isn't there a sprite SOP as well? May need to figure that out to actually render the sprites. --Dave DStewart_GrainsUpresExample.hip
  10. Alvaro, is your emitter object watertight? Also, you need to turn off Minimum Distance in the create_surface_volume node, "SDF from geometry" tab. Here's a quick recreation, works here... --Dave DStewart_FLIP_SolidEmitter.hip
  11. This is pretty easy, see attached. The Mantra Surface and Principled shaders both have a "use packed color" option in the Diffuse section, which grabs the color values from the points that represent each packed primitive. This example applies random colors to the points after packing, which seems to work just fine. Wonder if there's a way to see this represented in the viewport vs. at render time? --Dave DStewart_PackedGeo_RandomColors.hip
  12. Glad it helped Anthony, that shot is looking so badass!! May I ask what project this is for? Oh, and is this a Mantra render or? As for the added 102.377, it's a random number that's added to make sure the rand function seed is a float value instead of an integer, and also to spread the seed numbers out. The help for the "rand" function states that non-integer numbers work best for the argument, but @ptnum will return integer values. I may be misinterpreting this though, so hopefully a Vex guru will set me straight here if I'm way off base! Another thing I've found useful when up-rezzing grains is to use the point velocities vector length to spread the replicated points further away from the source grain point, helps avoid the blobby look with free-flying grains. Let me know if you're interested in this technique and I'll whip out a quick example. --Dave
  13. Glad to know it's not just me. Of course, I still suck at MaxScript after using Max since v1, so... Haven't dug into varying color on packed geo, would be curious to hear if you figure out a solution to that! --Dave
  14. Glad to help Michael, Vex is still kicking my butt as well! Can only handle it in small doses... --Dave
  15. Take a look at this Michael, just added the @ptnum value to your @Time expression to offset time for each point. Seems to achieve the effect you're looking for. Also multiplied @ptnum by a random number to spread the time offset values out further. --Dave scale_pulse_DStewart.hiplc