Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Donations

    0.00 CAD 
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

43 Excellent


About rbowden

  • Rank
  • Birthday 02/28/1985

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Personal Information

  • Name
  • Location
    Vancouver, BC

Recent Profile Visitors

3,348 profile views
  1. spray particles acting weird

    I don't know what kind of look you are going for doing a whitewater setup with a flip sim like this but, if you want to get it working you are gonna have to mess with the Depth and iso surface values under the foam tab of the whitewater solver. The Iso surface value will expand the surface field if you go positive values (something like .05 would probably work in your case).
  2. Smoke flickers when thin

    Missing alot of components in that file to be able to investigate property unfortunately. It is possible it has something to do with the shader also (even though it is just the fireball shader). Take a look at these topics I found on some other things you can try. http://forums.odforce.net/topic/20121-streak-artifact-in-billowy-smoke/ http://forums.odforce.net/topic/23667-pyro-smoke-artifacts/ You can also try locking the frame in question in your file and then reuploading it on here.
  3. Smoke flickers when thin

    I see the artifact in the high dense areas but, I don't know what you are trying to circle for me in the dark area. To show you have no density in there and that you are supposed to? The block artifact can be because of a number of things. Do you have a shader applied? What is the scale of this scene? Did you crank disturbance up to high? You mentioned this is low res, maybe the resolution is still too low? So many different things it could be. In this case, uploading your file or a test file showing the issue would be more beneficial.
  4. Transferring attributes from particles to volumes?

    Nothing to miss really. Temperature is going to be brought in just fine if you have it as a point attribute going into the volume rasterize points. I did a simple file showing that it works and I also did it in your file aswell. You have some custom OTLs in your file so, I had to bypass those and I didn't have the patience to wait for your vel field to cook so I just bypassed the pop advect in your pop net. I also moved your dop net for your particles down into the sop level. Attached is the simple file and where I modified it in your file. particleTest1_RB.hip temperature_rasterize_RB.hip
  5. Smoke flickers when thin

    Are you seeing this in the render also? This looks like just openGL artifacts to me.
  6. Transferring attributes from particles to volumes?

    Looks like all you need to do is change the name of your field from temp to temperature in your "empty_fields" vdb going into the volume rasterize points sop. Doing that, I was able to get the temperature field to populate correctly. Unless you had a specific reason to name the empty field temp instead of temperature?
  7. Off the top of my head, I believe your shelves are gonna live in your houdini16.0 folder under the toolbar folder. It is just a matter of copying those over to your houdini16.5 I believe.
  8. FEM Wrinkle

    These could possible help and each one has example hip files for you to get started. https://vimeo.com/206074254 https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/48343/
  9. If this is just smoke and you are using the fluid source and source volume DOP, just name your densities something different (densityCold and densityWarm for example). Do your simulation and then use 2 DOP I/O nodes to bring in each density separate. From there you should be able to write out the VDBs separate like you want.
  10. Strange Bullet Solver Motion

    That definitely looks suspect. Can you upload the file or even a simplified version with the problem?
  11. Ocean sim help

    If using the shelf tools (which I assume you are), I would change the size value of the particle fluid tank. If you do that, you are lowering the upper bounds of your domain also which means that you will have to do more readjusting. I would instead raise the center Y value if you want to make the fluid thinner. If you do it like this, the domain size will remain the same.
  12. @art3mis If you are doing a SOP based approach, what is stopping you from using the Boolean SOP to make cuts? You can use proxy geo for your simulation and then replace the proxy geo with your high res geo post sim. Unless you are specifically tied to voronoi for some reason?
  13. Flip and Divergence.

    Using divergence in a sim is pretty straightforward. You can add a divergence attribute in a wrangle in sops or use a gas field wrangle in dops to do so. The only gotcha is that you have to enable divergence on the FLIP object (under the initial data tab). I am attaching a basic file that use a gas field wrangle dop with some notes that should help. divergence.hip
  14. flip interior emitter and velocity

    You don't need to do a iso offset before the points from volume. The pointsFromVolume will convert your geo to a a volume for you.
  15. Collision Geometry for Ocean Waves Simulation

    The reason why your vdb isn't looking right is because of the way your ship was modeled. It is not a water tight mesh which, is what you need to get a solid vdb. The model has a bunch of intersections and overlapping polygons in it and is probably making the PolyFill SOP confused. If you are just doing this for practice, I would find another ship to download and use that instead. You will have plenty of time to fix other dept mistakes in your career. If this is for a paid project though, you are going to have to spend the time cleaning this mesh up.