ubuntu 9.10 karmic

nahee

I'll let you know when our studio moves over in a month :). So far 9.04 has been rock solid as far as Houdini goes.

oh, but I can't say the same thing about XSI on linux. It's like a case study on how not to write software... what a pain it is...

i'm running Realflow on Karmic 64bit..

its been great so far..

was not really able to get Houdini working in it..which is not to be blamed on either Ubuntu or Houdini anyways(my linux skills suck big time :D )

as a matter of fact i'm still running Windows (dual bootinG) because i cant get Houdini and few other applications to work

in Ubuntu :(

I'll let you know when our studio moves over in a month :). So far 9.04 has been rock solid as far as Houdini goes.

oh, but I can't say the same thing about XSI on linux. It's like a case study on how not to write software... what a pain it is...

He, he, we're about to upgrade our few Softimage licenses, and guess what, Autodesk reseller doesn't want to (he says he can't), give us a free trial of SI 2010 on Linux, so we can't even check if there is any progress with supporting it. Official trial exists only for Windows, and our current SI version simple doesn't work on any Linux distro we are willing to use (ubuntu, centos).

Moreover it seems that they removed metalray standalone licenses from Softimage Advanced, lowering actuall value of a package by half or so...

Edited by SYmek

Moreover it seems that they removed metalray standalone licenses from Softimage Advanced, lowering actuall value of a package by half or so...

do i get that right, now You can run 5 renderclients with one advandced license, and that does not work anymore with 2010?

damn, this guys take it even from the death

Edited by sanostol

He, he, we're about to upgrade our few Softimage licenses, and guess what, Autodesk reseller doesn't want to (he says he can't), give us a free trial of SI 2010 on Linux, so we can't even check if there is any progress with supporting it. Official trial exists only for Windows, and our current SI version simple doesn't work on any Linux distro we are willing to use (ubuntu, centos).

As far as I know the only linux distro they support is one you can't even download anymore. Never mind the fact that it's fedora which is unbelievably unstable :rolleyes:.

Gotta love autodesk/softimage. They belong together.

do i get that right, now You can run 5 renderclients with one advandced license, and that does not work anymore with 2010?

damn, this guys take it even from the death

You get SI batch license, not mental ray standalone license capable to render from *.mi files. This is what I was told from them.

Could people who have installed Houdini and other CG apps on Ubuntu 9.10 share their experience here? Personally I haven't done it yet would love to hear of success/troubleshooting stories though.

I just installed 10.0.430 on a fresh ubuntu 9.10 install.

First time I ran it it was very chuggy and the icons didn't show up. However, i found this thread over at sidefx which describes a fix - get rid of $HFS/hsvg/libglib-2.0.so.0.

I did that and now it runs great.

As far as I know the only linux distro they support is one you can't even download anymore. Never mind the fact that it's fedora which is unbelievably unstable :rolleyes:.

Gotta love autodesk/softimage. They belong together.

Hey Marc, I'm not sure if you've had a bad experience in the past, but Fedora is pretty good these days.

By default it comes with nearly the same software you'd find on Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Gentoo, or any mainstream distro with updated software. Fedora does have a stigma about being "bleeding edge", but you don't necessarily get that bleeding edge software unless you open up the development (Rawhide) repositories.

I've been using Fedora 10 with Houdini for a while and it's been great for me. It also plays nice with Autodesk apps out of the box as opposed to Ubuntu which requires a bit of work.

I experimented with fedora 9 before and it was horribly unstable, but it's good to hear that it's better now and that it works well with XSI. Perhaps we should try it because our XSI guys are talking about moving back to windows... shudder... :)

Thanks

M

I experimented with fedora 9 before and it was horribly unstable, but it's good to hear that it's better now and that it works well with XSI. Perhaps we should try it because our XSI guys are talking about moving back to windows... shudder... :)

Thanks

M

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply it worked well with XSI, but if it's "supposed" to work with Fedora 8 then in theory F10 shouldn't have issues. I have a lic for XSI foundation 5.0 that I plan to try out this week so I'll let you know.

Hey guys,

Nice to see there is some "progress" (akin to the hacks of moving Houdini-shipped libraries).

We'll probably stick with 9.04 for now. judging by the rest of the posts/web info. 9.04 is (knock on wood) working out excellent for lots of CG apps. Would be nice to upgrade too though, glad to hear Sesi's working on it.

p.s. did XSI ever "work" on Linux?

hi,

maybe this thread is not the best place to ask , but i am starting to think that everybody who uses linux here is using ubuntu, is it the best disto for the job? How is it compared to the others? I am using slackware 13 at home and houdini runs very smoothly , except a few opengl glitches and realflow crashes occasionally (i think that's normal :) ), maya and nuke are working good too.

Hey guys,

Nice to see there is some "progress" (akin to the hacks of moving Houdini-shipped libraries).

We'll probably stick with 9.04 for now. judging by the rest of the posts/web info. 9.04 is (knock on wood) working out excellent for lots of CG apps. Would be nice to upgrade too though, glad to hear Sesi's working on it.

p.s. did XSI ever "work" on Linux?

I've been using hou on kubuntu 9.10 for almost 2 weeks now. First week was full of crashes, but the distro upgrades in the past week have changed it to be very stable again.

since I've been updated ubuntu from 8.10 to 9.4 it is became interesting BUG with houdini GUI: first opened houdini GUI window don't work. I can't push buttons or use menus etc. For use houdini I need to open soemething first, for example License Administrator GUI, to "catch" this bug :) and then start hmaster - it works normally.

I taught that it is problem with nvidia drivers. Now I've been updated to ubuntu 9.10 and to 1.9.xxx nvidia drivers but problem doesn't gone.

Im never had any problems with Houdini on ubuntu before 9.4

hi,

maybe this thread is not the best place to ask , but i am starting to think that everybody who uses linux here is using ubuntu, is it the best disto for the job? How is it compared to the others? I am using slackware 13 at home and houdini runs very smoothly , except a few opengl glitches and realflow crashes occasionally (i think that's normal :) ), maya and nuke are working good too.

Ofcourse not, any CG (or other) app can work on any distribution provided you (compile and) install the right kernel, headers and libraries (and support programs sometimes). The distribution simply does or doesn't provide these by default, making the whole process simpler or more complex.

Then there is the community around the distribution, generally the more people are using it - the more likely it will be your particular problem has been solved by someone else already, and all you have to do is repeat the process of whomever solved it. Herein lies the secret of Ubuntu popularity imho.

Other differences such as package management, desktops, window managers etc. are purely cosmetic and a matter of user's taste.

Personally, Slackware holds a very special spot in my Linux book as it was my first distro and frequently the distro I always came to when frustrated with other distros. For last couple of years, however, Ubuntu proved to be working out great. Personally (again), I love the way Ubuntu config files are very minimalistic and readable and in this respect it even "outperforms" Slack. But the most important difference in comparison to any other distro is the amount of community support where Ubuntu reigns supreme.

hi,

Which Houdini build do you use with Slackware? I plan to reinstall Slackware on my laptop this weekend. I'm tired of Ubuntu...I want a proper root account.

Mats