ubuntu 9.10 karmic

nahee

I tried to imagine why, but I can't think of any good reason. Even then, it's only a GUI step away to re-enable the root account on Ubuntu.

That's not very helpful. I will test xubuntu 9.04 as well as Slackware to see which one that works with Houdini.

Which Houdini build do you use with Slackware? I plan to reinstall Slackware on my laptop this weekend. I'm tired of Ubuntu...I want a proper root account.

Mats

I am using houdini 10.0.401 on slackware 13 x64, i had no troubles running it,but about maya things are different,since maya licensing tools are 32bit only so u have to install alot 32bit libs to start it under slack64.

Edited by postezz

I am using houdini 10.0.401 on slackware 13 x64, i had no troubles running it,but about maya things are different,since maya licensing tools are 32bit only so u have to install alot 32bit libs to start it under slack64.

I'm sorry if I was a bit vague, I asked which gcc version you used 4.2 or 4.3? I've installed 10.0.465 gcc 4.3 and it seems to work apart from the desktop menus under Slackware 13 x64 running XFce.

Edit: I just tested the gcc 4.2 Daily Build and that works as well under Slackware 13 x64. Which one is the better one?

Mats

Edited by matsbt

I'm sorry if I was a bit vague, I asked which gcc version you used 4.2 or 4.3? I've installed 10.0.465 gcc 4.3 and it seems to work apart from the desktop menus under Slackware 13 x64 running XFce.

Edit: I just tested the gcc 4.2 Daily Build and that works as well under Slackware 13 x64. Which one is the better one?

Mats

i use the gcc 4.3 version, i cannot say witch one is better,i havent tested yet the 4.2 version but 4.3 is working well for me.

i use the gcc 4.3 version, i cannot say witch one is better,i havent tested yet the 4.2 version but 4.3 is working well for me.

I also use the gcc 4.3 version now. So far so good. I've sent an email to SESI and asked if there are any differences between the different Linux builds apart from the gcc version used.

Edit: There are also differences in versions of various libraries according to Rafal from SESI.

Mats

Edited by matsbt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey there,

I'm running houdini 10.0.5 on 9.10. my proc is the amd phenom x64 w/ 8g of ram. I followed some advice on the ubuntu forum

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=189192

and compiled a custom kernel 2.6.32. Now I'm able to play some medium res fluid sims almost in real time!!!. I still think there are some latency issues that can be cleared away by adjusting the init.d or some other config file I haven't found yet. if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.