fur in houdini... is it reliable???

dyei nightmare

hi, i am in a complex proyect where i have to create fur for a tv comercial, a proyect much like new moon movie effects, but im finding that realistic and profesional fur creation is a serious pain in the ass... so im looking for the best pipeline/software on this... so ive heard that fur in houdini is fast... but i wonder if it is really a good option for fur creation and rendering, and other hard stuff that i need to do in this proyect.

i have to chose between houdini as an option and Shave and a Haircut from joealter...

but obviously, i would consider houdini because is a greater solution for many other aspects on this...

so... is houdini good for furry animals creation? do you know examples on this?

Houdini is very fast in fur generation, you have ability to go deep inside into tool and change it to your needs.

Here is one example of my work with fur

I have tested this animal with big deep shadow maps, MB, DOF and it was rendering like 7min per frame on old Q6600 so I think it was quite quick..

Houdini is very fast in fur generation, you have ability to go deep inside into tool and change it to your needs.

When you say you made your own fur tool, did you go as deep as write your own VRAYprocedural for it?

I had a look at your feathers tool video. Looks cool, mostly copy sop driven?

Where is the best place to learn more about fur? I have messed around alot with it, and I know I am doing everything incorrect, but I found the rendering to be very slow. So I would like to learn more about the work flow of rendering fur. Any resources?

When you say you made your own fur tool, did you go as deep as write your own VRAYprocedural for it?

I had a look at your feathers tool video. Looks cool, mostly copy sop driven?

Nah I have made tool using Houdini nodes and some scripts (because there is about 1 aurochs ad per 1 or 2 months here). I was also implementing own shader based on Rob Bredow papers (Fur in Steward little) but finally we end up on default fur shader that really suits our needs for this ad.

Houdini's fur tools are excellent, the default setups already works great, and you can dive into the tools to suit your needs quite easily. I've recently used it for two animals, one with short hair, the other one with long and curly hair and what I can say to you is that it was a quite simple process. Longs hair are a bit trickier to achieve with the default tools provided, but definitely doable.

You can watch SideFX masterclass on fur which I think will show you the power of fur tools :

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1409&Itemid=132

Cheers..

Yeah. Agree, fur is very cool in Houdini, a lot of control, and good rendering speed. You can see some fur tests in my blog.Nothing special, first touch to fur tools :) .

Yes, it looks really nice but i guess you have not spend much time on the shadow :). Its great that you create it from scratch, when i hit the add fur button, there is a bunch of node generated :(