Which Linux?

Hello!

So I decided to polish the Linux side of my laptop. I already have XP, Ubuntu 7.04 and OSX running fine. So I think I will be upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04. However, I might want to try something else just to make my life a bit harder :)

So there is Fedora out there as well... right? then there is KDE as a desktop... there is also Kubuntu! :)

So it is very confusing. How is Fedora with Houdini? If I decide to go with the Fedora + KDE solution... which build of Houdini will I be installing? "Red Hat Linux Fedora Core 4" or "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4" ?? My laptop is 32bit by the way.

Any experience with Fedora? Ubuntu worked fine for me. And lisux, Stay away from this topic... I know you are a great Ubunutu fan! :P

Opensuse 11.2 with KDE 4.4 works pretty good for me running on AMD x4 Core

Ziggx

Hello!

So I decided to polish the Linux side of my laptop. I already have XP, Ubuntu 7.04 and OSX running fine. So I think I will be upgrading to Ubuntu 10.04. However, I might want to try something else just to make my life a bit harder :)

So there is Fedora out there as well... right? then there is KDE as a desktop... there is also Kubuntu! :)

So it is very confusing. How is Fedora with Houdini? If I decide to go with the Fedora + KDE solution... which build of Houdini will I be installing? "Red Hat Linux Fedora Core 4" or "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4" ?? My laptop is 32bit by the way.

Any experience with Fedora? Ubuntu worked fine for me. And lisux, Stay away from this topic... I know you are a great Ubunutu fan! :P

Hello!

Hi,

Give linuxmint a shot, you might love it for the rest of your life :D www.linuxmint.com. I am running houdini in mint. Oh, the core of linux mint is ubuntu, so if you are familiar with ubuntu, linuxwint would be great for you. Personally, i only like ubuntu, dislike fedora.

Edited by mad cz math

If you would like maxium performance from your system (but some knowlege AND patence is needed) the choise is simple - gentoo.

If not, I would stick with red hat like solutions, but more "modern" = fedora :)

Fedora (and other distros) are not so fast as gentoo, but fedora is really good choise (especially with good KVM support, it is light and fast).

+ gnome ;] (I have bad luck with kde and simply I dont like it)

edit:

Houdini goes great with fedora AND other distros (I dont think there is distro on which you couldn't run houdini).

You should install the one dedicated to the newest RedHat.

Edited by danilo2

My advise is if you like the distro u are using,why changing it?For example i am using slackware for about 7-8 years,even before i started doing CG.I cant say how slackware compete with the others in terms of houdini speed but i can say it is twice faster than my xp32.I may recommend you trying icewm x window system, instead of using kde or gnome.

In these situations it's great to have an older machine laying around for trying out different distros, desktop environments and window managers. If not, then I would recommend checking out the Gentoo Live DVD

It's a great way to experience a bunch of different configurations without the hassle of installing them. It comes with KDE 4.3.1, GNOME 2.26.3, Xfce 4.6.1, Enlightenment 0.16.8.15, Openbox 3.4.7.2, Fluxbox 1.1.1, TWM 1.0.4, etc. You can select which one you want to try at startup in the Session menu.