twist available for follow curve inversekin?

frading

in the continuity of my precedent post, about the skeleton rig OTLs I am working on, I am trying to make a back control. of course, this is based on the inversekin CHOP with follow curve. And it seems you cannot have the equivalent of the roll or twist, which allows you to roll the chain on your curve. In maya, the roll allows to roll all the chain bones together, while the twist rolls more the end of the chain than the start. I thought this would be easy to do, but I cannot find an easy way...

I actually found a way with my OTL, but it involves scripting, and I am wondering if I have not missed something, because I really have the impression that I am going a too much complex way. This should be far more easy <_<

So, anyone can show me the right way?

Many Maya spine setups involve 3 or 4 chains of different solvers exploiting the benefits of the different solvers and constraining them all up together in a crazy mess. The same messes can be just as easily created in Houdini :rolleyes:

I can't show you the right way, but just be rest assured; there is no easy way in any package right now. :P

Thx Jason, but I have been told at this thread ( http://www.sidefx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5684#5684 )to use the rest angle to solve my problem. It seems it will help me, althought I have to make it completely clear.

and about maya, I do not understand what kind of spine setup you are talking about. I was talking about a simple one, with just a chain, a curve and a IK handle with a spline solver. And you have twist and roll attributes on that ik handle ( in Maya ) . Those attributes cannot be found on the inversekin CHOP in houdini, and this was what I was looking for.

Of course, I understand that you need other controls in order to manipulate your curve intuitively, but this is another story... :blink:

the setup I enjoy is the jason Shieffler's from weta. From my little animator experience, I find it really handy. And this is what I am trying to do in houdini right know ( actually I just finished it a few minutes ago, but I want to add more stuffs ).

But you may have talked about other setup I do not know. This makes me think that there are sooo many things I could learn while working in your company!! :rolleyes: Damn..I am jealous

anyway, time to work on your other reply!

Speaking of Weta's setup, I have pretty much successfully hacked that technique in Houdini for the spine and the clavical set up. Houdini is more than capable of doing it. But in terms of speed, you do have to understand more of the working of Houdini to get a better workflow... WHen you have as many bones in the chain, it takes CHOP a bit longer to cook through the chain... Perhaps SideFX need some sort of new system dedicated just for Character stuff. I have been planning to release the 1st version of my generic human char. autorig script for the Houdini community, but now I just didn't have as much time to finish that script... I'll just have to find some time to get back to it soon.