Window break

Macha

Yes, that sounds good but the geometry changes when the pieces are created and the glue isn't carried over. I have attached a file. It's probably just a simple thing but I've gotten a little rusty (=refreshed) after my long holiday. :D

window.hipnc

post-4013-128609453073_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macha

Thanks for the good ideas, it's kind of working but I want to use the new H11 fracture configure object because of its beautiful fracture patterns and options. This turns out to be trickier than I thought. I'll keep thinking and see if I can come up with something.

I was thinking I could perhaps do something with a masked gravity force, or dive into the fracture dops and poke around there.

Edited by Macha

Thanks for the good ideas, it's kind of working but I want to use the new H11 fracture configure object because of its beautiful fracture patterns and options. This turns out to be trickier than I thought. I'll keep thinking and see if I can come up with something.

I was thinking I could perhaps do something with a masked gravity force, or dive into the fracture dops and poke around there.

Hey Macha,

The fracturing done within the FractureConfigureObject in H11 is all done through SOPs, as the FractureSolver is just one big SOP Solver. In particular, the cleverly-named VoronoiFracturePoints SOP is responsible for taking a few "impact" points and generating all the points that feed into the VoronoiFracture SOP to create the fracture patterns based on the impact location. So everything on the "Points" tab of the VoronoiFractureConfigureObject just controls a VoronoiFracturePoints SOP within the Fracture Solver.

Which is a long way of saying, you can just use the SOP to pre-fracture your object based on the impacts, getting the same fracture patterns as ConfigureObject, but then pull them into DOPs as standard Glue objects with animated glue strength or keyframed glue objects or whatever.

IIRC, the example file here has a setup that uses the VoronoiFracturePoints SOP.

Hope that helps.

Oh yeah, since you're pre-fracturing you'll have to do the old switch out the intact for pre-fracture glass manually at the impact frame, but as long as there's only one primary impact that shouldn't be too big a deal. You can also setup the Glue Object pieces to use dynamic fracturing once they hit the ground or something, if that's part of the effect. That example file has a glue/dynamic fracturing example as well.

Edited by johner

plus with the auto-fracture function you get a nasty one frame offset before the solver takes the fractured geo in account...

Yes, since the FractureSolver runs after the RBD Solver. The usual way around this is to sub step the entire DOP Net by 2 or more. You can then decrease some of the Collision/Contact/SubContact passes on the RBD Solver to gain back some of the speed lost by taking 2 steps.

Not quite what I intended but I got a satisfying result with the "jump" removed by using a spring constraint.

I am now trying to slow down the animation, timewarp it to a freeze.

One way -which works- is by animating a drag force in dops. Another way would be to use a scalar field as a drag mask.

But I would like to have more control by using a chopnet. However, I have trouble with it and I think it is related to changing pointcounts in the geometry.

How do I best retime/warp animations in chopnets with geometry that has a varying pointcount?

window_a.hipnc.hip

Edited by Macha