Make Breakable Question

cashkao

Hey guys,

I have two questions about the "make breakable" in Houdini 11.

Q1: I put the group numbers in the impact group, however, it doesn't break at all...><, How do I make it break based on the group numbers?

Q2: I would like to test an effect that a sphere will pass through two grids (also break them)...However, it also does not work like the way I want.

I am just a beginner in Houdini and trying to figure these out..... Any response will be appreciated.

Thank you

breakThrough.hipnc

impactGroup.hipnc

The "Impact Group" doesn't control which parts of the object can fracture; it controls which other objects can potentially cause a fracture on the object. So, for example you could specify that an object can fracture when hits the "wall" object, but not when it hits the "groundplane" object, by changing its "Impact Group" from "*" to "wall". Or you could specify "* ^groundplane" to exclude only the groundplane.

As for your second example, the RBD solver and fracturing system don't really handle flat objects like your grid. It should work if you extrude those grids into a box and hold them in place somehow (or at least turn Gravity off for them). Or if you really need flat grids you might be able to use the Cloth Solver and its tearing capabilities.

If you haven't seen it, there are some dynamic fracturing examples here.

Thank you so much Johner. I will try your suggestion and also the links.

One more thing, I try to turn off the gravity but it will also effect the sphere. Is there anyway that I can exclude only the two grids, but only let the gravity to effect the sphere?

Thank you for your help. ^^

Edited by cashkao

One more thing, I try to turn off the gravity but it will also effect the sphere. Is there anyway that I can exclude only the two grids, but only let the gravity to effect the sphere?

Two ways: either change the "Group" parameter on the Gravity DOP to "sphere_object1" so it affects only the sphere, or leave the Group as "*", but move the Gravity DOP between the sphere_object1 DOP and the Merge.