How's my sand wall so far?

concept4

Hey all. I started this yesterday night. Tell me what you think. I used i3d and I could only do 128 cubic resolution on the 3d textures. I hope I can do 196 or higher with my linux boxes. I got a nice yelling face model from a friend. Gonna try to put it in the sand wall like the mummy. :P

tips and comments!

Thanks

--Ronnie

--------------------

Progress so far:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://megaplex.hypermart.net/houdini/dese..._video_high.wmv

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

post-21-1061136141.jpg

it's looking real good. the actual cloud looks great.

a suggestion of mine would be to make sure the sand "cloud" blends more with the actual sand dune. it looks like a sudden change between cloud and solid.

b.t.w. - how long is it taking to generate your i3d textures at that resolution???

keep rockin'

Thanks for the comments. :)

The i3d texture takes about 3-4 min at 128. 256 it takes about 15-20 min. I've started to do 300 frames of the sand cloud this morning. Hope it looks good at the end. I agree with the blending issue. I'm pretty sure I can do some nice tricks in compositing for it since it's only visible to that extent when the cloud rolls down the hill. When its on the ground and going at the camera the edge is covered quite well with the bumps in the sand. When it's traveling along the ground the particles start moving back and they come over like a wave and then back over so it's like the sand is being pulled off the ground.

I've got to add a lot of detail to the ground like sand layer that's blowing over the surface and make a good shader for it. That's a default dent in the vex builder without any special ops.

I've got till next week to finish this and the i3d textures are gonna kill my machines for a couple days. :(

--Ronnie

Hope you like it :)

I worked on the blending as much as I could but I had to finish it early for my project. I still have a face I'm going to put in the sand. If you guys at odforce can host the good quality larger res version that'd be real nice :) I'm gonna render out the breakdown shots and put it all together nicely.

It's in windows media format. (sorry :( I know) I'm buying a hosting service in a couple days so this < 1mb file will have to do.

>>>>>>>>>> I posted a higher res version further down the thread <<<<<<<<<<<

If you don't mind my saying... the motion of a sand wall looks kinda like it's alive. Reminds me of a running man(don't mistake for A. Shwartzeneger :) )

I guess it's ok if you were going for something like in "The Mummy" and if not, than it should look more natural. Like an avalange.

Anyhoo. Two thumbs up! :D

• 4 weeks later...

They are all particles. The metaballs are created by the i3d ops and rendered with the meta cloud. The limit on my windows box was cause of my systems resources. Not a limit on the OS, I found linux to be much quicker and more efficient when generating the i3d files.

--Ronnie