model topology

TheUsualAlex

Hey fellow Houdinites,

I am been observing Rene Morel's facial topology set up on his models especially those from Final Fantasy and from his site. What I am rather surprised is that I have not seen any one model a human face with a topology set up that come even similar to his.

So I just wanted to know, what is your opinion about his topology set up?

Although I find his facial topology to be very good, however, anyone knows why is it that we don't see a whole lot of set up similar to his when it comes to realistic human face?

Anyway, I'd love to hear from what you all have to say. :D

Cheers,

Alex

Hi DaJuice, unfortunately, I don't have any more better quality picture than what I've seen on the net. THe only best place to go is the making of Final Fantasy book, which is where I have been studying his set up. Even then, I have to take a lot of guess in other area of the modeling... ;)

I just wish that he'd post some bigger wireshaded pictureof his character... I am so tempted to email them, but very unsure of that action.

That's ok.

From what I could see his character's face had a lot of polys even without subdivision.

That's a good way of going about modeling realistic faces IMO cuz you can put all the subtle imperfections and undulations of the skin right at the cage level.

technical02.jpg

As far as the topology goes, what I noticed in that pic is that he didn't put any edgeloops around the eyes, like a lot of people do, but rather that area seems to follow the flow of the cheekbones. I can't be sure cuz that stupid headband thing and his eyes are obstructing the view, but that's what I think is going on.

Great model, no doubt.

Peace!

There is edge loops. :)

I have been attempting at setting up the topology similar to his. The front face has been coming out fairly well, but the mouth and the profile of the face has been something I have to take a guess at. So it's probably going to be a combination of his method and my own guessing method. :P

Cheers,

Alex

PS: Think we should email them to ask for better screenshot? :D

--------

Hmmm.... One thing that came to my realization is that I think Rene was using the NURBS topology set up.