L-system growing on the surface of an object

sabotage

Hello I am trying to get a proper growing of l-system on an object surface. In my case I have an animated human figure and I am trying to grow l-systems around body parts in animation. I cannot use creep or project because the surface is polygonal. I tried with rayhit but it doesn't look right I also tried drawing curves on the surface of the object and then using the curve deformer but it is a little bit slow because my l-system is with too many branches. Can you please give me some ideas on approaches thank you.

Is there a way to use the wire solver with this technic as a goal . So that the l-systems fly around and then they snap. I can make this with sdf attractor with softbodies but I cannot preserve the edgelengths of the l-systems. I will post an example on what I am trying to achieve.

Nice link.

Here is something inspired by this. The Lsystem sticks for a while and then grows out.

Sorry for the messy setup.

I don't understand how you got the points to stick to the tree trunk using an AttributeTransfer. I understand that you transferred the P values from the trunk to the l-system, but I don't get how you managed to control it.

You can have some degree of control if you play with blend width, sample count and a smooth sop.

About wiresolvers, in principle it should be possible to send the lsystem to a dop network, cling the roots and break them, but in practise it's probably just too heavy and you'll just get a messy setup.

Edited by Macha

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone :)

I'm trying to reproduce the L-System growing on surface setup from the Siggraph slides that are on the thread.

I used Macha's file to inspire me with the readings from andyboy3d's website.

I'm having some trouble reproducing this slide http://www.andyboyd3d.com/siggraph_talk/img39.html

So far this is where I'm stuck.

If anyone could give me a hint on the next move I would really appreciate it.

It seems that my L-system is going up to fast and taht it doesn't wrap around the tree tube.

Thanks for your help

sure, here is the file. not quite the same as andy's, but something along those lines, I personally don't like point SOP due to cooking speed so I avoided it in this one too

Thanks for your answer, i'll take a look at your file right now.

You're really helping me out there. :)

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

i am facing some problems can anyone solve it.

Nice link.

Here is something inspired by this. The Lsystem sticks for a while and then grows out.

testgrow_fix.hip ( i followed this file you can find this  file above only i copied and pasted )

i have follow the above links its excellent but when i use modelled leaf its doesn't work only its work circle, sphere and default model are work

how can i add leaf please can any body help me, when i am adding in Lsystem leaf J and K and i do project then my leaf are being destroy.

Thanx

• 1 year later...

Great thread and great help so far!

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find some good L-system rules to make Ivy. Having problems understanding the rules properly.

Thanks in advance :)