Inherit Velocity not working?

DaJuice

Without looking at the file, just some info:

Whats a pitfall about the Inherit Velocity is that it'll use the "v" attribute OR the "N" attribute on your geometry. I cant remember offhand which one takes precedence (I think N), but that can trip you up pretty easily. If the Source POP had a option to choose which one to use, it'd be a little clearer, but you may as well just use try one or the other.

I hope this actually is the reason:)

J.

Thanks for the fast response Jason.

Ok, the source geometry is a null in this case. I appended a Point SOP and added Normal and Velocity attributes and I pointed the Source POP at this SOP. In the attribute page I chose either v or N but neither are working. They are spawning correctly from the null but the only thing affecting their motion is the Force POP I have.

*bump*

Nobody knows what's wrong with my file? :(

To show that I'm not trying to waste anybody's time, here is what I'm working on at the mo...

(divx5.0.2, 320x240, 4sec, 139kb)

http://dajuice.t35.com:8000/files/walk.avi

Ignore the crappy walk cycle and shaders, the problem is the fireballs. Well it's not really supposed to be fire, more like some kind of semi-liquid acid goo. Anyways, without inherit velocity working the motion looks pretty bad as you can see.

post-21-1063088186.jpg

I must be brain dead, I just can't get this to work. I apply a Trail SOP, set 'Compute Velocity' and pick the Trail SOP as my source geometry in POPs. Leave inherit velocity page at defaults, nothing. Change the scope to v only, nothing. This is driving up the wall, what else can I do? :wacko:

The Trail SOP computes velocity based on changing *geometry*. So what I did was create another object, Object Merged in your null_model and set the Transform Object to dot (.) This essentially brings your object-level animation into the SOP world. So append your Trail sop to this with compute velocity and use it as your source geometry in the source pop.

PS. A way to see this is to go into the SOP level for your null_model object and turn off the See All button. Now hit play. Note that there's no animation.