Wavefront OBJ/MTL

I think that it is time for Side effect to make a new version of their gwavefront utility which Converts .obj files to/from Houdini format.

There is now enough programs in the market which are dealing with wavefront .obj and material .mtl.

Please join me to ask Side Effects to provide and .obj utility with .mtl IN/OUT.

Thank you.

I can see on Google that cg artists where already requesting this since 2008.

we are now in 2011 :(

You need the MTL for Photoshop-Import - here is a fix: Houdini and Photoshop CS 3 Extended

Ya thank you for the tip but I know what to do if I have to add with my notepad 1/2 textures and 2/3 materials.I'm talking about a version of gwavefront which can deal obj/mtl with a bigger number of materials and textures.As I said into the SideFx forum,I can't afford to pay a full license to get access to other

importer/exporter.(I have apprentice HD).For the artist(Apprentice is for those people)it will definitively open new doors. ;)

Not trying to shoot down the request, just wondering what actually uses the MTL file? I've never once used it for anything. OBJ/MTL is archaic and ASCII (which means slow and inefficient). I'd much rather see the development time spent on something else unless there's a significant use for the MTL file.

You can send this to autodesk because they are now owning Maya and Maya since the beginning is all about obj.

I remember in 1992 that on SGI alias wavefront was very happy with that file format.

Use Autodesk FBX converter to convert your obj/mtl to fbx

You can batch as many files as you want.

In houdini : file -> import fbx.

You get your object with material and texture.

Et voilà !

Thank you Ben,

Since a long time I'm trying to EXPORT from HOUDINI an .OBJ and MTL without success.

Here is the dilemma: there is after Blast more then 900 primitive group with different colors.

I'm puting a partition and a blast so when I export the file to obj,I can retrieve in other software the different group.(at least this is a step!!).But after assigning to all those groups a material is really a nightmare.

I don't understand that policy to offer to artists a beautiful piece of software and at the same time to cut some fingers(like export of fbx,collada and that OBJ/MTL).

post-5437-130045866319_thumb.jpg

Did you consider writing a custom python node to export a mtl ?

I think this would be fairly easy...

Another thought : If you only need to get colors maybe you can go straight with vertex color and .ply format.

you will easily find max or maya .ply importer plugin

But I agree with you I would love to have a fbx export with the HD verion of houdini (even if I understand why it's not available).

Did you consider writing a custom python node to export a mtl ?

I think this would be fairly easy...

Another thought : If you only need to get colors maybe you can go straight with vertex color and .ply format.

you will easily find max or maya .ply importer plugin

But I agree with you I would love to have a fbx export with the HD verion of houdini (even if I understand why it's not available).

Thank you,

concerning writing a custom python is out of my mind.But I will try the .ply format.

Thank you,

concerning writing a custom python is out of my mind.But I will try the .ply format.

I tried the .ply format and it does export color info,bur now I have to find one translator .ply-->.obj/mtl

Edited by jfhtx

• 2 years later...