Facial Rigging in Houdini with bones?

amazingjay

• 4 weeks later...

lattice == slow until the membership of the lattice is cached and not computed per frame AND it is only translational information. Rotations will not be present in the result.

cluster deformer ... isn't just a point group with or without weighted membership? Sounds like a pt group with a soft-transform?

well that sounds so unlike the maya... with the simple input output connections that sounds wrong. i guess i'll have to open maya and try that out.

It still sounds like a point group with a attribute weighting the amount of deformation. I guess if the membership has the same points and the deformation itself effects the same point then you would get that result, but in a serial fashion.

HI MIKE!

-k

HI KENNY!

a cluster deformer does some resursive trickery...so it's more than just a soft transform, you can have 2 clusters on the same geo and each will affect the other...

I've never tried it myself but I was told a long time ago that the difference is that a cluster will use the object's local transform instead of world transform. So you won't notice a difference unless you have your local transforms differing from your world transforms.

• 2 weeks later...

lattice == slow until the membership of the lattice is cached and not computed per frame AND it is only translational information. Rotations will not be present in the result.

If you use polygons as your point generator-controller (lattice point tab), your polygon rotations will affect the positions of your points which will end up creating rotation deformation.So you will be using polygons to move, rotate, scale chunk of the intended mesh.

um....sorry I wasn't clear. AFAIK, the rotations applied via lattice deformation are not interpolated as rotations when the geometry is sent out and processed, they are point to point translation. So if you did a rotation on a point even in a "wrap" mode aka point lattice, and you rendered it AND you had extra samples going on you wouldn't see the arc that you would get from a bone capture. I'm pretty sure that is still the behavior. It is a subtle difference mind you depending on what is going on. You can use rotations to cause the deformation, the result is different when it is calculated for deformation blurring.

Ed could CONfirm....

-k

If you use polygons as your point generator-controller (lattice point tab), your polygon rotations will affect the positions of your points which will end up creating rotation deformation.So you will be using polygons to move, rotate, scale chunk of the intended mesh.

Edited by thekenny

um....sorry I wasn't clear. AFAIK, the rotations applied via lattice deformation are not interpolated as rotations when the geometry is sent out and processed, they are point to point translation. So if you did a rotation on a point even in a "wrap" mode aka point lattice, and you rendered it AND you had extra samples going on you wouldn't see the arc that you would get from a bone capture. I'm pretty sure that is still the behavior. It is a subtle difference mind you depending on what is going on. You can use rotations to cause the deformation, the result is different when it is calculated for deformation blurring.

Ed could CONfirm....

-k

thekenny, that is a legitimate concern. I have used the method I have mentioned for some deformations, works well, but to be honest my setups were neither rendered in Houdini nor had multi axial rotations. I mostly used them for creating MDDs for other apps. I am curious to hear the details of the lattice deformer in H as well.