Houdini and Unity

barad_dur

Hello all,

Is anyone using Houdini as an asset generator for FBX export into the unity game engine? If so could you speak of your experiences or post up good reference locations on the subject? I have been looking for three days now and I'm coming up with nothing.

I guess I am looking for information on:

- is there a good way to export a model with texturing/shading so materials don't have to be rebuilt in Unity?

- will unity read bones from Houdini?

- is it possible to export deformation animations that exist inside a node?

- is there a "Best Practice" manual?

I could go on but hopefully I am getting the point across.

Thank you in advance.

David

• 1 month later...

Hi David,

Try sending a PM to sibarrick if he doesn't chime in on this thread.

Cheers!

Hello!

I'm also looking for info on a Houdini to Unity Workflow. Yes, I know we have fbx, but let me tell you, converting sop level transformations to the obj level is a real pain ( copy stamping from pop, im looking at you! ).

thanks

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I am trying to figure some of this out now, being a Unity dev continuing to unpack the mysteries of Houdini.

So far, I can speak to getting Houdini Rigs into Unity: It does work, as an FBX export, at least for my very basic rigs thus far. There are some things I've don't that break it, but I'm learning both Houdini rigging at the same time as Unity import.

A basic rigid-skin works fine, as does a biharmonic capture. But I haven't pushed it too far. I think the devil will be in the details of the FBX exporter.

I am happy to post more here as I learn more. Would also love to see a "Best Practices Guide"!

-Len