Terminator Finger welder

J.Santos

Hi guys!

Here's my latest project done using Houdini and Nuke for compositing!

The concept is based in (you guessed... Terminator!). I'm quite happy with the way it turned out, despite still needing some more tweaks to be better.

However, deadlines are deadlines and all the other tweaks will have to be done in-between classes...

I would really appreciate some feedback in areas that you think need improvement. I know a few, but won't tell or publish disclaimers... ;)

See ya!

Hi.

Looks great.

Well I guess its out of the question, but it would work 10 times more realistic, if you had a 3d-tracked camera instead of the fixed one.

Maybe you could introduce some a subtile 2d-movement in comp?

Keep it up :-)

Erik

Hey Man

It looks great, the arm really looks pretty cool

it seems like the flickering light should be a little more local, ie have some attenuation and have it effect the skin as well, u can see how its effecting the hand but not the arm on the second cut, id try spread the brightening across the inner arm a fraction just to motivate the highlight on the bulb of the hand.

I'd fix is the speed of the sparks, sparks generally move a lot faster.

the flame is a little regular, maybe use some low frequency noise to break up the length and texture.

The specular on the metal inside of the arm seems very uniform, id try break it up with ether a little bump to break it up across the length of the highlight, or some anisotropic shaders, to give the impression of a grain.

whats causing the highlight to move as the arm moves, it seems like its a light parented to the flame ?

Just some thoughts

hope this helps, great project either way.

Cheers

Hi guys!

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!

I'll try them out as soon as possible (maybe within 2 or 3 weeks time)...

I've been looking into VOP's lately so at least the bump thing will be easy to implement!

The camera movement I might pull off with my comp as it is, with some sort of camera shake or something... if not, I can go back to the beginning and pan or zoom into the image a bit more... probably some focus/defocus action would also help with the idea of this being filmed?

See ya!

Hey!

As well as Brian's comments about the speed of the sparks, I'd add some gravity and interaction/bouncing off the arm and surfaces.

Here's a link for reference:YouTube sparks clip

Hope that helps and I look forward to seeing the updates!

Matt.

Hi Matt_K!

Thanks for the link!

I see what you mean... Funny enough on the same page I found another video showing a camera shooting test and how the camera would adjust the exposure because of the bright light from the welder... I think I'll also try to implement that!

Cheers!