AVI's on Linux

tallkien

I'm having trouble creating avi's on Gentoo.

mcp (avi) gives me the help menuand says avi not supported , hmv won't playback, OGL issues, blah blah

I have emerged cinelerra and avidemux 0.9 but don't know how to load sequential files usefully.

How do you guys make your movies?

thanks

tallkien

I had problems compiling im2avi so I tried animmaker,(Portage can spoil the average Tux-er) . Will have another go at it when I have time. I need to create an avi because the demo i'm making needs to be viewed on a windows machine or I'll have to make a vcd which will be my next linux endeavour. Mencoder Rocks btw. B)

Thanks anyway edward, much appreciated

So if you linux users don't create avi's, what do you do?

tallkien

There are many options you can try:

1--Render out .jpg or .tiff images. Compile the program kjpeg2av, load the sequence and you'll get a ready to use avi file. This is the simpler choice. You have no possibility to load audio and merge it.

2-- You can use Cinelerra for loading the sequences of images (.jpeg or .tiff). Remember to use the option : "Paste at insertion point" in pull down menu of the open file window. With this great app you can add audio track (.mp3, .ogg, .wave), applying audio-video effects and finally render out as mpeg-1-2 (no audio) or MSFT Avi (with audio) or quicktime

3--Command line tools. I prefer mjpegtools. You can convert a sequence of .jpg or .tiff to .yuv and .m1v or m2v. It's a little bit complicated but with this tools you can merge audio file modified from Halo or Shake and

obtain an SVCD or DVD file ready to burn on your CD or DVD.

Cheers :rolleyes: