Welcome to od|forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

shareu

Creating simple tornado motion using pointcloud

37 posts in this topic

I used to make tornado motion with pointcloud. I was helped so much from odforce. This time I hope to be helpful to have the opportunity. Hope you likt it. Ian Farnsworth,Igor Igor Zanic~

tornado_v01.hip

tornado_v01.mov

Edited by shareu
6 people like this

looks awesome !

i like it very much and thanks for sharing , because you are helping me too to understand some things .

.cheers

1 person likes this

Simple & Cool is the Best!!

Thank you so much for sharing.

I couldn't help not use this file for testing the volume plug-in I'm working on.

I won't cross threads but just wanted to say it's a good one for benchmarks.

Thanks.

Very nice setup. Thanks for sharing guys ! :D

Edited by md5
1 person likes this

So interesting...both setups!

Bunker, I was checking your scene and the visualization coming from the DOP network is really cool even in OpenGL!! :huh: So I tried to cache this somehow, but when I used an DOP I/O I realized I needed to multiply the density 10 times (I used a Volume Mix for this, not sure if there´s a faster way...this one works) to match your visualization parameters in the smoke dobject.

My question being....in order to render a scene like this, would you just cache that and throw in a volume shader? I´m bettin it can´t be that difficult to get it looking nice, considering how good it looks in Open GL already! :)

EDIT: Yup. I just did it...well, with one small frame because my computer is too old to render volumes, but it does work....

EDIT2: ummm...bunker, why is it that as the point cloud lifts higher your volume clouds looses density? did you check it? it doesn´t look right to me. The original point cloud does loose a bit of point density, but not as much. Looks to me like there´s some volume-related problem there...

Edited by Netvudu

this is really awesome! I like the simple setup that creates complex motion. :)

Thanks!!!

pretty cool setup bunker, i modified it a bit and got this!

the bunker`s volume sim seems the Tornado can not go up like the particle do, is there any method could fix it?

Great stuff guys, I have learnt so much from your examples. Now I have 2 questions :)

shareu: Why did you used the point cloud instead of just global node with P and stuff?

bunker: Why the density starts to fade off after certain point?

thanks!

Also my example using similar (not identical) setup:

http://vimeo.com/27582239

Edited by chimeric

can I ask why do I get nothing when I render scene v.2?

Edited by SMVFXART

pretty cool setup bunker, i modified it a bit and got this!

Hey ikarus,

What changes did you make to bunker's scene file? can you upload it? yours looks very different!

Edited by R_cyph

Couldn't resist using that for a volume sim. biggrin.gif

tornado_v02.hip

Sorry for this up, but I want to advect fluid in particle and the example of Bunker is what I would like to do.

I'm in Houdini 12 and Smoke solver is different from Bunker's version.

Could you help me to make the same effect as Bunker?

I already have a begin of result, but I don't have the same result as Bunker.

Edited by Kevju

Hey,

I have the same problem as Kevju.

When I open Bunkers file I get nothing.

It shows that I create a volume but I can see nothing.

It seams as though the sourcing does not work with the current smoke solver or something like that.

Could someone explain how the sourcing works exactly because I can't seam to get sourcing to work.

Cheers,

Juri

Amazing learning resources!

thank you very much guys!!

bunker's volume sim looks pretty cool.

I was trying to achieve the same thing but with flames instead of just the smoke but being quite noob to pyro (and fluid sims for that matter) i’m having trouble.

basically i tried to replicate efx’s setup shown in his R&D video:

and the tornado video:

but without good results.

basically what i do is create the temperature and fuel fields,

source them to pyro and then source a pump with the velocity field generated from the particle tornado.

but the flames don't go up as expected..

also tried sourcing fuel from the vortex volume itself and of course that was a mess :P

if anyone could enlight me on the way to swoop the flames in the tornado i would really appreciate it

maybe efx would be so kind to share some insights (or even an example file :D cause the shading on the video is pretty cool too) :D