Cloud using i3d

particlefx

Hi guys trying to create a volumetric cloud using i3d method in houdini 11.

1.Generated the i3d files for density.

2.Connected it to volumevop thru texture3d node in vopvex node.

3.even after connecting the texture in vopvex node i am not able to view the density.

I had attached the scene file...

Need help in generating these clouds..

i3d_Cloud.zip

• 1 month later...

The problem is not Texture3d VOP, but the Image3d SHOP, which is used inside a geo2i3d ROP asset and is depreciated in favour of vopimage3d. Basically you don't generate proper texture at all. It's empty, and thus texture3d Vop shows emptiness ;).

Open geo2i3d (RMB->Allow Editin of Content), and replace image3d shop with vopimage3d node. Recreate a content inside and apply it on image3d ROP. Generate i3d and... voila!

Note, that image3d texture format becomes obsolete, as more and more its features are implemented right inside bgeo. I would consider stick to native volumes.

cheers,

skk.

PS default image3d rop doesn't compress texture, so initially you have 9MB i3d versus 600K volume (in case of platonic teapot). Compressed i3d takes 100K though.

btw:

i3d_Cloud_fixed.hipnc

Edited by SYmek
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The problem is not Texture3d VOP, but the Image3d SHOP, which is used inside a geo2i3d ROP asset and is depreciated in favour of vopimage3d. Basically you don't generate proper texture at all. It's empty, and thus texture3d Vop shows emptiness ;).

SYmek, did you ever log a bug for this? I just ran into this and had to fix it in H12. :)

SYmek, did you ever log a bug for this? I just ran into this and had to fix it in H12. :)

Nope :huh:, because, as much as I remember, I thought based on this thread (or similar) that it was already logged. Apologize and thank you for a fix. It will spare people a lot of headache.

skk.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I am using this i3d method to generate clouds from geometry. Its works perfectly. I now want to use a sequence of i3ds to render an cloud deforming. I have figured out how to use i3d's as a sequence but my noise (generated as a mutli fractal in vopcvex) will not stick. I need to give it a rest position but I have no idea where to start..

any ideas much appreciated

cheers

tom

• Like 1

Hi Guys

I am using this i3d method to generate clouds from geometry. Its works perfectly. I now want to use a sequence of i3ds to render an cloud deforming. I have figured out how to use i3d's as a sequence but my noise (generated as a mutli fractal in vopcvex) will not stick. I need to give it a rest position but I have no idea where to start..

cheers

tom

• Like 1

Hi Guys

cheers

tom

• Like 1