model and shade

hey, dumb question:

suppose you're editing a SOP (in the viewport....say, painting an attribute) (call it the edited SOP) and want to visualize another one down the line (call it view SOP) fully shaded, with the edited SOP being shaded in ghost mode (or something unobtrusive....)

err...how?....seems like whenever I enter a SOP, it automatically switches it to the current shading mode, and though I could footpring the view SOP down the line, the edited SOP is still interfering.....

I remember H4 having the handy option to display current or render SOP

I bet it's still in there somewhere....

I tried messing around with the display options (d) but Target output made no sense...

did I make sense?

(mmm....maybe after ONE more coffe...)

thanks!

Howdy Sir,

In your display option, do you mean the furthest right shading option for either your template or footprint?

As for everything when you turn on your current display flag, and your render flag will automatically turn on we well; you can change that by going into the Preference>tools> turn off "change sop render blah blah blah".

Do these answers your questions? :)

CHeers,

ALex

In your display option, do you mean the furthest right shading option for either your template or footprint?

well, shading options for template or footprint are fine....no prob there...it's shading the current SOP that's the issue...

I need to shade the current SOP I'm working with in something unobtrusive like wire or ghost or whatever, and have the result display fully shaded down the line....

when you turn on your current display flag, and your render flag will automatically turn on

that's not really the problem either....I just need the kind of functionality that existed in H4 where you could work in one SOP and display the other (remember?) you could choose between showing the current SOP you're modelling, or the SOP falgged for display....

Cheers.

-C.

Hey Sirogi,

You can turn on 'View Current SOP' using the 'Viewer Controls', Down Arrow beside the Snap Toggle at the top left of the viewport. You'll see the familiar green outline in the viewport.

To shade the Display SOP, you can use the Target Output selection in the display options (d) or the handy Down Arrow above the Show Points icon at the top right of the viewport.

Cheers!

steven

You can turn on 'View Current SOP' using the 'Viewer Controls', Down Arrow beside the Snap Toggle at the top left of the viewport.

AHA!...thanks Steven! good features never die...

then again... :)

mmmm...just found out that doesn't solve my problem...

if I'm working in one SOP (edit current SOP mode) , and need to switch the display flag to another, I get kicked out of editing mode, and the current node changes altogether

....bummer, guess that answers my question: there's no way of editing one SOP shaded "lightly" and viewing another "fully shaded"...mmm....too bad...

oh well...minor gipe... .. .. so far ;)

anyways, thanks a lot!

Are you not thinking of the "d" key viewport options which allow you to set your display mode for current vs. template vs footprint, etc?

You can change the shade mode on the bank of icons on the right side of the popup viewport controls.

For things like "model on wirefame, while viewing shaded downstream subdivided template"..

Does that help?

J

err...yea! (d) key...I went there already :)

and yes

model on wirefame, while viewing shaded downstream subdivided template

is exactly what I mean...

it's just that I haven't been successful at achieving that specific setup

(hey, is there an icon for blushing in emabrassement?....) :P

I'll give it a third...um.....*first* shot

PS: steven it's ok, go back to sleep :D

yup!...immediately did...

it's just that I was stuck on getting footprint to do the trick, I didn't realise that footpring shading mode is locked with the current one....:wub:

once I tried to set it up with templte, gave me eactly what I needed!.....joy!

thanks everybody....