how to install Houdini Ocean Toolkit

• 1 month later...

I found the directions to be confusing at first also because the way it's explained in the documents makes it seem that you set your variables values to have the variable name in them as well. Here is a step by step install guide I made which is more clear.

Step 1. Download a binary distro AKA a compiled version for your specific version of Houdini. In my case 11.0.733 x64.

I used this version:

HOT 11.0.733 x64

Step 2. Unzip the archive and place the contents into any folder you want. I made a folder in my C:/ drive named "houdini" and inside of that folder I made another folder named "hot" Inside of the "hot" folder I pasted all of the contents of the archive I unziped earlier. So you should have something that looks like so.

hot_01.jpg

Step 3. So now all you have to do is add two environment variables. To do this open windows explorer and right click on "Computer" (Windows 7) or "my computer" (Windows XP) and go to properties.

hot_02.jpg

Then go to "Advanced system settings"

hot_03.jpg

The "System properties" window will pop up at the bottom click on "Environment variables"

hot_04.jpg

Step 4. Then you must create your environment variables.

Click "New..." Under either section (The system variables will load the variables for any user on the computer, while the user variables will only load for that specific user.)

hot_05.jpg

After you click "New..." a window as such will appear. We will do the "HOUDINI_PATH" variable first.

The Variable name is: "HOUDINI_PATH" (without the quotes.)

The variable value is: C:/houdini/hot;& (The slashes must be in the opposite direction and you must have the semicolon and the ampersand at the end. NO SPACES)

hot_06.jpg

Now we will add the Path variable.

You most likely already have a "Path" variable

hot_07.jpg

Select it and click on "Edit..." do not rename the variable name leave it alone. Move your cursor all the way to the end of the text in the "Variable value:" text field and at the end of the existing text put a semicolon with no space before or after. Then type the path location of the "dlls" folder inside of the "houdini/hot" folders we created earlier. You should have something that looks like this.

hot_08.jpg

Note: This path does not need to have the reversed slashes. Nor does it need the semicolon or ampersand at the end.

And that should be it!

Open Houdini and throw down a grid jump inside the grid and type "ocean" If you see the node it means you were successful.

hot_09.jpg

Hope this write up helps clear the confusion with HOT installs on windows. Thanks to Ronald for the compile and Kiel for helping me understand the install myself.

James

Edited by hkspowers
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to update this great info, for anyone wanting to install HOT for one Windows version but don´t get other Houdini versions on the same machine affected (and showing errors on startup) this little workaround suggested by edward (aka e.d.w.a.r.d :lol: ) on this very forum.

Create a bat file (just create any new text file and give it the extension .bat) with this info

set "HOUDINI_PATH=C:\blah,blah...this is your path to your binary HOT version;&" (note the last two characters)

set "PATH=C:\blah,blah...just as the previous one but with \dlls at the end"

start "" "C:\here goes the path to your Houdini installation"

For example my bat file reads:

@echo off

set "HOUDINI_PATH=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\hotbin_win64_H11.1.118_1.0rc9;&"
set "PATH=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\hotbin_win64_H11.1.118_1.0rc9\dlls"
start "" "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.1.118\bin\hmaster.exe"

And that´s it.

You just run that bat file to start that Houdini version with HOT.

Edited by Netvudu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am trying to install HOT 1.09 built for 11.1.67 on Houdini 11.1.22 on Ubuntu x64. I followed the documentation and set HOUDINI_PATH properly, but still can't get it to work. Could someone please post a step-by-step guide on getting HOT to work?

Thanks.

Naeem.

EDIT: Just started Houdini and it's working now. Quite strange.

Edited by Naeem

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've read the instalation steps but I can't seem to be able to install OTK for houdini 12 in mac. Are there more recent instructions?

1. in Xcode > preferences > Download > Components , check "Command Line Tools" and download.

2. in /Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/12.5.427/Resources/toolkit/samples , changed all the permissions of the directories and sub-directories ("samples") to read-write.

3. in /Applications/HoudiniOTLs/hot-master/3rdparty , make a folder "osx"

4. use "Houdini Shell.terminal" with /Applications/HoudiniOTLs/hot-master/compile.sh"

and then you can go make waves!

Edited by Guido Zanni

• 2 weeks later...

hi,everybody.I tried to instal HOT_H12.5.377_win_x64 in Houdini FX 12.5.371. I put dso\hocean.64.dll to the houdini\dso path,put otls\HOcean.otl to the houdini\otls path,and copy the "hocean.64.dll" to the last of "VEXdso" open as Notepad.

but it does not work, when open the examples file “vop_displace.hip”. show "HOT_Ocean_Eval1" using incomplete asset definition. Is it the right way to instal the HOT? thank you.

hi,everybody.I tried to instal HOT_H12.5.377_win_x64 in Houdini FX 12.5.371. I put dso\hocean.64.dll to the houdini\dso path,put otls\HOcean.otl to the houdini\otls path,and copy the "hocean.64.dll" to the last of "VEXdso" open as Notepad.

but it does not work, when open the examples file “vop_displace.hip”. show "HOT_Ocean_Eval1" using incomplete asset definition. Is it the right way to instal the HOT? thank you.

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/17861-hot-for-h125/ < You shouldn't really bother using it anymore.