Pixel Aspect Rendering

Hey,

Should I be rendering out all my renders at the Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1 always regardless of resolution and then change the aspect ratio during compositing stage?

I rendered out a few test and realized that Pixel Apect of 1 matches what I see on my viewport screen and that if I changes the aspect, my model will look squashed...

THanks,

Alex

Hi Alex :)

The short answer is that you shouldn't. You should always render with the appropiate pixel ratio because it's in direct relation with the image vertical and horizontal resolution.

I'll try an example with round numbers. Imagine your target platform displays images of 200x100 with pix ratio of 0.5

If you want to do previews with a ratio of 1 you'll not see what your render will actually look like unless you change the resolution. A valid setting would be 200x200, pixel ratio 1. Or also 100x100 ratio 1. This is fine for previews.

But what does happen if you render the final frames with those settings is that you're either wasting rendertime with pixels that will never be used (200x200 vs 200x100) or not rendering ar enough resolution (100x100 vs 200x100).

Adecuate pixel ratios will always give you the "best fit". The bad news is that compositing can be more painful than with square pixels.

For example you have to know that when animating something moving, ten pixels up is not the same as ten pixels left. You don't want to hear what happens when you animate something spinning...aargh! :)

What Miguel said is right, you have to render with the appopriate aspect ratio. Let's take PAL broadcast as an example. It's Aspect Ratio is 1.067 & a sphere will look squashed horizontally because the monitor's pixel aspect is 1.0. However, as soon as you put it on the TV, everything looks right.

If you render everything at 1.0, even at the correct resolution, eg 720 X 576 for PAL, it will not show up correctly on TV. It'll be stretched horizontally.

The concept is the same for NTSC broadcast as well. Use the flyout ( > ) arrow of the camera's Resolution parameter to select Abekas NTSC D1, that'll ensure the proper resolution.