Black Hawk VFX Shot

Alexander Weide

Hi best community on planet,

i made some Test to use Houdini for everything and i come to the conclusion i don't need any other software for mature tasks.In that Animation i used Blender a bit for modeling because its a bit fast than houdini, but check it out by yourselfs;)

Wish you nice watchig and enjoy it. Houdini is the best peace of Software in VFX.

Shot:

Shotbreakdown:

That turned out great.

Explain why you don't like PBR? I use it all the time.

because rendertimes are to bad in most cases, if you got not that big renderfarm and not a large budget.

-> no client will pay if you got some kind of noise inside a frame everyone wants the perfect picture and that means large sampling count and very large Rendertimes. = dont below 12x12 Sampling

and in PBR not everything is working inside the surface shader

->if you will create a realistic looking Glass you cannot use the Attenunation inside the surface shader - it only works in Micropoly or Raytrace renderer -> not in PBR. .

in order to holding very short deadlines i made the experience that i only use it if i had to light rooms and inside building.

Very nice job!

What I found most interesting was the outward motion of the particles. Were those particles advected by SDF smoke?

Also, what did you render for particles? did you render points or small volumes?

Congrats.

particles advected by sdf you are right. bounding box and spawn of fluid where animated for direction of rotor blades. its hard to describe but it was one week of hard try and error in rnd of the dust.. btw only moving particles are visible so that the cach files are not to large. for little flying sand stones i used the particle points with a point sop to scale it. The dust is converted to volumens....

and i find out that its better and fast to render particles in sop and not to flag "Point rendering" you can render points of particles without point render flag.

Edited by Mainframe123

Thanks for confirming the sdf advection.

Just to be sure I understood you properly,did you render dust as points, as volumes, or both?

I knew that it´s possible to render points without that flag, but I find it surprising that it could be faster! I didn´t know that...it sounds weird... :huh:

Once again, it´s a great job, which shows how capable Micropolygon rendering can be.

Thanks for confirming the sdf advection.

Just to be sure I understood you properly,did you render dust as points, as volumes, or both?

I knew that it´s possible to render points without that flag, but I find it surprising that it could be faster! I didn´t know that...it sounds weird... :huh:

Once again, it´s a great job, which shows how capable Micropolygon rendering can be.

i am combine both ways dust as points and as volumens. but most is volume. only close to camera it "morphs" to points... its like a difference key;) i can use this system in the future for every dust operation...this asset is beautiful;) and i hope you will understand that i dont share not everything because i will use it in future..;) btw i think you will get it in better ways you are a master with more experience than me;) i only know houdini since 4 years^^ and of course it sounds weird but it render faster;)

Edited by Mainframe123

i also noticed that you composited the project with COPS rather than some other app, like nuke. i kept replaying the shot to see if i could tell what bits were cgi.

the breakdown vid surprised me. i was wrong on almost all my guesses. lol. :blink:

pro level work.

thanks alot. What can i say. If Houdini gets a tracker and a paint modul you dont really need other apps like nuke. Because you can do most of the same in chops. and dont forget you got a real 3d composition app in combination of rops and chops...inside houdini.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...