2 questions about fluid in houdini

cloudfx

1.When I have animating particle as point src for smoke, it does not seem like it's using the animated data but the first frame capture of the particle. How would I fetch animated data through the frame?

2. Where do I control the inherited velocity from the particle point src? I dont see controller in apply source node.

should I just use attributes to volume sop node to transfer v to vel?

1.When I have animating particle as point src for smoke, it does not seem like it's using the animated data but the first frame capture of the particle. How would I fetch animated data through the frame?

*seems like "Use Always" from sopvectorfield for SOP Path does that. and well as apply source's deform geo turn on.

but where do I get the inherited velocity from the source obj itself?

but where do I get the inherited velocity from the source obj itself?

Set the velocity type to point in source tab.

In smoke solver you can find it under fields/sources

In pyro solver it´s Advanced/Sources

In general, look at the Default Operation parameters. They can be on "Set Initial" or "Set Always" and that does affect your simulation. For example a field (like temperature) may only be set -or grabbed from SOP- at the start of your sim. The subsequent states of your sim are then left to evolve. There are several of these parameters and you'll have to try and experiment to find the ones you need to "set always". Remember that in dops you calculate new states based on how something changes relative to something else. This is quite different from sops where everything can ultimately be derived from time ($FF) directly.

The other thing to remember is that you are unlikely to get precise control with this. As the fluid is solved there is a lot of momentum and intertia and any forces you are using are likely to be interpreted as values to be added/subtracted/multipled with something else. You can override these fields completely (copy) but then you wouldn't have a sim anymore. So, controlling sims is a bit of an art.

2. Where do I control the inherited velocity from the particle point src? I dont see controller in apply source node.

should I just use attributes to volume sop node to transfer v to vel?

I think in the solver there is a tab called Sources. In there you can get the source velocities. It may be a good idea to get the particles in seperately either as points and use the gas particle to field dop, or as a field that you create in sops and then get into dops with a SOP vector/scalar field dop. The advantage of the latter being that you have your own field and you can do with is whatever you want relatively easily.

Edited by Macha