Windows2000 AGP patch

Stremik

This is not really a fresh news but still! I think somebody can probably use it.

Here is what AMD has to say about it

Description of Issue

An issue has been identified that could result in the corruption of video data shared between AGP graphics adapters and AMD Athlon™ or AMD Duron™ family processors, including the AMD Athlon™ MP, mobile Athlon™ 4, and AMD Athlon™ XP processors, when running Microsoft Windows

Hi dajuice,

The HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE is only an environment variable. You can turn this on if you graphics card doesn't support OGL very well, I think. Otherwise, turning this on well runn OGL in software mode (using CPU resources). I think this is correct.

Cheers,

ALex

You create this variable in

Control Panel ---> System ---> Advanced ---> Enviroment Variables

Type for name: HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE and for Value: 1

All it says in Houdini documents about it that this variable(if set to 1) forces Houdini to use Open GL software rather than hardware.

I have no idea which software, but I sertanly would like to find out myself!

If you find something out about it, let me know please.

But where does my system gets those instructions?

As far as I know, OpenGL is not installed in Windows(unlike DirectX) but comes with graphics card's driver.

If HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE variable is set then this driver is not used, right? Where does main CPU gets all those OpenGL instructions?

Hey Stremik,

I can't explain the "how" & the following is based on my limited knowledge:

But where does my system gets those instructions?

As far as I know, OpenGL is not installed in Windows(unlike DirectX) but comes with graphics card's driver.

Actually there are OpenGL libraries in the OS. I remember reading from the net some users running 3dsmax on Win9x OS copied the OpenGL libraries from NT/2000 to make 3dsmax run better. Of course, this was from a while back. It's also why most 3D packages only runs on NT/2000/XP.

I can't tell you exactly what graphics cards' drivers do but they tell the OS what to do with the cards or what the cards can do. Also, the vendors' libraries also are installed which are used by the graphics cards to draw what you see on screen.

If HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE variable is set then this driver is not used, right? Where does main CPU gets all those OpenGL instructions?

You're right about what the variable does. Houdini draws the GUI, wireframe etc with OpenGL so the instructions are coming from Houdini.

The above is totally my understanding, or maybe what I choose to believe :) , so you might want to find out more from the Net.

If I'm wrong in any of the above, someone/anyone please correct me.

Thanks!