Win 64 hou 11.1.118 compile

Supersaqib

I installed succesfully over my H11.1.18, but now my other Houdini installations (namely h12 Betas) are complaining...any hints on how to make this work JUST for H11 without affecting other Houdini versions?

I used both the HOUDINI_PATH and PATH environment variables.

I installed succesfully over my H11.1.18, but now my other Houdini installations (namely h12 Betas) are complaining...any hints on how to make this work JUST for H11 without affecting other Houdini versions?

I used both the HOUDINI_PATH and PATH environment variables.

Either only modify HOUDINI_PATH for when you start a specific version of Houdini. OR, don't modify HOUDINI_PATH and specifically install your plugins into $HOME/houdini11.1/....

Either only modify HOUDINI_PATH for when you start a specific version of Houdini. OR, don't modify HOUDINI_PATH and specifically install your plugins into $HOME/houdini11.1/....

Hi thanks. I´m not used to dealing with environment variables, so I´m not sure about this. Let´s say I opt for your second option and I specifically install my plugins into $HOME/houdini11.1/...., should I then erase the HOUDINI_PATH environment variable, or restore it to something else?

Also, how do I only modify HOUDINI_PATH for when I start a specific version of Houdini?

Forgive my OS noobness...

If you choose to install into the $HOME/houdini11.1 directory tree, then do NOT set HOUDINI_PATH environment variable at all. This will then allow Houdini to use its default value which includes $HOME/houdini11.1.

If you choose to only modify HOUDINI_PATH for a specific version of Houdini, then you should create a (version-specific) wrapper script that sets HOUDINI_PATH and then invokes Houdini. To launch Houdini, use the wrapper script.

Ok, so now I got a new set of problems trying to make this work. (HOT just starting for 11.1.118 and not other versions)

It happens, either if I try to change the houdini.env file, or if I try creating a .bat file to change the variables with a set command at startup (which is what I understood from edwards´ hint on "creating a wrapper script"...right?).

At least, in both ways I get the same problem so it must somehow be related.

(edited)blah,blah...

EDIT: Wait! now I realized I was missing a ";&" at the end of the first Environment Variable, but now I get a different error.

Here´s the screen grab.

post-1283-132520375215_thumb.jpg

Edited by Netvudu

You cannot use houdini.env to modify HOUDINI_PATH because HOUDINI_PATH itself is used to find where houdini.env exists. You should post the contents of your .bat file. Offhand, I'm guessing that your wrapper script is still wrong.

Oh, If there´s something I´m sure of, that is that my bat file is wrong :D I just don´t know why.

Also thanks for the explanation on why I cannot adjust the env file directly...

Bear with me....

@echo off

set HOUDINI_PATH=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\hotbin_win64_H11.1.118_1.0rc9;&
set PATH=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\hotbin_win64_H11.1.118_1.0rc9\dlls
start "" "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.1.118\bin\hmaster.exe"

AS you can see I unzipped the HOT binary at "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\hotbin_win64_H11.1.118_1.0rc9" I thought it would be a good idea not to loose it around the Hard drive.

Edited by Netvudu

Try instead:

@echo off

set "HOUDINI_PATH=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\hotbin_win64_H11.1.118_1.0rc9;&"
set "PATH=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\hotbin_win64_H11.1.118_1.0rc9\dlls"
start "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.1.118\bin\hmaster.exe"

Perfect!

But it´s

@echo off

set "HOUDINI_PATH=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\hotbin_win64_H11.1.118_1.0rc9;&"
set "PATH=C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\hotbin_win64_H11.1.118_1.0rc9\dlls"
start "" "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 11.1.118\bin\hmaster.exe"

with the extra "" after start or you stay at the command line instead of running the exe.

Thanks for your patience! Now all my other Houdini versions work flawlessly and HOT runs nicely on this one.