Procedural Environment system UDK

freaq

The following video is a demonstration of my Graduation Project,

the entire level presented was created in just one hour.*

*excluding lighting build times in UDK.

The tool is designed to create and decorate environments based on minimal input artistic from the user / leveldesigner.

but without taking away control.( like random level generators do.) The geometry is fully procedural and can be edited anytime;

the rest of the procedure will automatically update.

The tool is mostly based on volumes and projection to create the main shape.

It supports tunnels, landbridges, alcoves, etc and has been designed to go more then vertical,

further than heightmaps can. (also with much less UV distortion)

One does not need to use curves as a input, premodeled geometry or planes work as well.

The asset placement is not limited to trees but can export any static mesh's location, rotation, scale

or any other attributes from Houdini to the UDK.

This exporter was written by Jan Pijpers.

No manual readjusting was done to the level,

although this is possible both procedurally in Houdini or manually for specific objects in the UDK.

Special thanks go to:

Jan Pijpers : .t3D export

Kim Goossens : my supervisor

Johan Woelper : procedrual stone example

"axebeak" : AO vopsop.

For more information about the tool see my documentation on it here:

http://freek3d.com/downloads/Freek_Hoekstra_Graduation_final_report_Final_PRINTED.pdf

For more information about my procedural railroad system go here:

http://freek3d.com/downloads/Procedural_Railroad_Creation_Hoekstra_Freek.pdf

Thanks for watching!

Freek Hoekstra

www.Freek3D.com

info@freek3D.com

(+31) 620909427

edit:

Bachelor graduate of the NHTV university of applied sciences Breda.

Edited by freaq

WoW!

Great project: I liked the idea of Houdini working side by side with UDK, I like the workflow, it seems very nice to work with, and final results are amazing.

I've not read the pdf, so... just some questions:

1. have you modeled/textured all the plants?

2. are they procedural?

Anywya, thanks for sharing your project.

Edited by thinkinmonkey

First of all thanks for all the kind comments!

much appreciated, glad to hear that both the demo and my documentation are being enjoyed. :D

WoW!

Great project: I liked the idea of Houdini working side by side with UDK, I like the workflow, it seems very nice to work with, and final results are amazing.

I've not read the pdf, so... just some questions:

1. have you modeled/textured all the plants?

2. are they procedural?

Anywya, thanks for sharing your project.

I did not model the trees, I did adjust their textures and materials slightly but nothing mayor.

but they were made procedurally in speedtree , (*almost 100% sure) atleast the big tree was, the banana tree probably was too, only the grass most likely wasn't.

about the .pdf's sure thing glad to hear you guys enjoyed them, glad to spread the knowledge and see what you guys come up with (after I get a job though ;))

and about a Unity version...

well if there is high demand I might be avle to do something like that...

but so far I have not thought about it. and not sure whether I could export a similar textfile with coordinates and things. but who knows...

Fantastic! I'm absolutely of the opinion that more developers should be embracing Houdini for level design and development, and you make a solid case for the sort of rapid prototyping and development that Houdini enables.

Edited by Darric

• 1 month later...

hi Freek

First of all let me say, what an amazing job, my hat's off for you man, amazing

I also want to THANK YOU, first for adding me in your tutorials section, but most of all for doing this, I know that Houdini is the perfect tool for level design on so many ways and that it can be used in so much more areas of game development, so thanks to you for putting this huge project of yours and making such and amazing piece of work.

the pdf it's amazing and helpful, what I would love to see is that python .t3d script, is that available somewhere, I love gamedev and would love to get my hands on that script.

Thanks again and keep up the amazing excellent work.

YOu rock bro!!!

P.D. unity used fbx, houdini has the BEST fbx integration ever, making them work together should be a piece of cake.

Guest mantragora

P.D. unity used fbx, houdini has the BEST fbx integration ever, making them work together should be a piece of cake.

As far as I know you can't export animation from Houdini into one FBX. You have to export into multiple, one FBX for each frame. That's a problem. Just for model exporting you can use OBJ.

Edited by mantragora

As far as I know you can't export animation from Houdini into one FBX. You have to export into multiple, one FBX for each frame. That's a problem. Just for model exporting you can use OBJ.

you can export animation into ONE FBX file, and even cache deformations, I've used that even to bake RBD sims and particles :)

Guest mantragora

you can export animation into ONE FBX file, and even cache deformations, I've used that even to bake RBD sims and particles :)

How ? I created simple Box, animated it thru 69 frames, than exported with frame range from 1-69 and all I get in Unity is f**king static box staring at me :D

How ? I created simple Box, animated it thru 69 frames, than exported with frame range from 1-69 and all I get in Unity is f**king static box staring at me :D

I didn't say it works IN UNITY, haven't tested, but if you import that FBX into some other app it should have the animation

unity might be expecting some default naming conventions.

will check/test as soon as I can.

Guest mantragora

what was the issue?

tell us, I'm very interested

thanks

Bad camera angle in Unity :). Sorry for making fuss. I animated it so short that it looked like it's not moving when I added it to scene. Than of course I started to play with options on asset first, instead of changing camera angle, and messed with animation settings and tuned of animation completely.

I wonder how it will work with bones and characters.

EDIT:

Ohhh, I remember. You can't export to FBX in Apprentice. That's why I thought you can't get animated geo from Houdini. So if you want to play with it after hours in home with free Unity version you can't use Houdini if you don't own at least Escape.

Edited by mantragora