Things to check before killing H.

gaurav

I do this:

kill -QUIT 782136

But before that I see if mantra is the offender, you can kill that without compromising your Houdini.

Sometimes I also place a cup of tea on the ESC button and go for a wander.

Edited by Macha

Thank you folks,

Adding more to my noobness by asking :

Is there a place to check how H is set up to trap various signals. Can it be modified to take some other action than the default one.

I am assuming that would involve systems programming in linux. right ?

I don't think they are documented anywhere. Not that i can remember at least and I don't remember who told me about the SEGV either.

That's because Houdini will always attempt a save when the process crashes. On Unix, when a process crashes, it receives a SEGV signal. So explicitly sending Houdini a SEGV signal on Unix will force a save and quit. This is just the way things work because it's Unix and not specifically about Houdini.

never use kill -9 to kill Houdini!! ... seriously.

Yes, it's dangerous since that won't save your file and you can lose your changes. On the other hand, if you have a *large* production scene, saving can also take a long time. So if you know for a fact that you already have it saved, it can be faster to do a force quit. Having said that, I usually hit ESC a couple of times first and let it cook for a bit.

• 2 years later...