character poses - no animation

deecue

Hi everyone,

The character I am currently working on does not need to animate or do any kind of movement whatsoever. But I do want it to have different stilled poses.

I had planned to just rig it anyways and just pose it to each state, but I don't know if that is the only way to go.

Anyone else have a better way to do it, or is this it?

Thanks,

dave

thanks for all the help and info everyone..

as i am completely knew to this whole character and bones side of the 3d world, i was wondering if anyone knew of a good tutorial or video explaining things such as weights in your rig and geometry deformation.

i've gone through pretty much all the videos at sidefx and 3dbuzz but most of them just deal with complex bones and relations in them, and not as much about the geometry deformation.

i ask this because i am having a somewhat difficult time trying to get my character not to distort too much. i am trying to get the capture regions to overlap as much as possible and everything seems to be smooth at joints such as a knee or ankle.. but the area where a leg attaches itself to the body is becoming quite tough. the section where the butt and the leg meet is getting distorted pretty bad and i thought that maybe weights would be an option to getting it better.

thanks,

dave

ok, i think i got a pretty good handle of how the weights work (for now atleast). it occasionally gets wierd. such as when i go to paint the weights on to the bone, if i go to select another bone to paint weights, it completely forgets the first bone i did. even if i paint weights on one bone and get out of the paint op. then go back in and repaint another bone. it only seems to remember the last bone painted. so i just end up going to the edit weights op and manually adjust each point in the spreadsheet..kinda annoying but works.

and now the butt and crotch area looks decent which is good.

the only thing still bothering me is the way the upper thigh gets deformed when brought in to the stomach. it doesnt make a solid crease in the leg like you would expect it to. its more like a force is pushing in to the upper thigh and looks wierd. i've tried messing with the weights in the area but still not much luck. i dont know if i should just add more bones in that area or what. any opinions would be great. here is a image of what im talking about.

thanks,

dave

bones.jpg

weighting is really all about trail and error and tweaking things to get them right....a good intro to weighting in Houdini can be found in some videos from Side Effects at the Vislab : http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/houdini_video/

also -it would be great for others to see the wire frame of the deformation - it helps detect problems....I like Flat Wire Shaded

well actually, the character is pretty much already modeled... just need to some how be able to put it in different poses..

Sorry, I meant you could put a simple character setup together for your character (which is what you've already done) then pose him, and fix anything that doesn't look right (stretching, surface intersecting, etc.) by modeling (pulling points, adding geo where neccessary).

-JZ