virtual machines in production..

paul

hi all,

here's a techy question: has anyone ever managed to get a linux-houdini to run as a guest OS in a virtual machine in any form?

i know that there's has been issues with linux, OGL & nvidia drivers in the past. but it's 2012 - and maybe things have moved on...?

AND i'm also interested in hearing about things from the opposite point of view. ie, any luck running OSX (hackintosh) or Windoze as a guest OS on linux with proper 3d acceleration. ie, running decently 3ds max, or final cut, or CS5 in guest OS's.

i'm hoping that things may have moved on since i last looked at this...

regards,

paul

Virtual machines have many uses for render nodes and other infrastructure but for workstations they are not a good idea (yet) unless for basic office tasks like checking email. Some virtual machine utilities like VirtualBox have 3D acceleration for guests but there are many caveats like 32-bit operating systems only, video memory limits, etc. Graphics aside there's considerable performance lost when using a virtual machine even with hardware virtualization (AMD-V, Intel VT-x) because of extra steps for disk I/O since its writing to a file within a file system instead of a native hard disk. Also the memory overhead of the host can be quite a lot depending on the configuration.

If you need multiple platforms probably stick to dual booting or use multiple workstations. In time I think graphics performance in a virtualized environment will improve similar to how processors now have hardware virtualization but that time hasn't come yet. Maybe another five years? Hopefully sooner!

Some virtual machine utilities like VirtualBox have 3D acceleration for guests but there are many caveats

FWIW, I tried Ubuntu 11.10 guest on VirtualBox VM running on a Windows 7 host. The accelerated 3D driver for it on Linux seems to lack crucial features for it to run Houdini. I think I might had better luck with the 3D acceleration driver turned off and just using the software Mesa driver. But then of course, you don't get 3D acceleration.