computer gets switch off automatically am using

Ankit Sinha

I am using H11 in window 7, my system has 1gb graphics card(nvidia quadro 600)and have 4 GB ram. But during rendering simple scenes with glass or sprites my system gets switch off, without getting shutdown. I am not able to figure out whats the problem. Its definitely not with RAM, i have monitored it, it doesn't uses beyond 3 GB. Can anyone suggest me what to do?

Based upon my experience from a number of years ago, I would have to agree with Macha's suspicion about heat overloading your system and causing a shutdown.

If your computer is in a reasonably dust-free environment, an easy way to check this is take off a side of your case and point a small fan inside the case to help keep it cool and see how it performs.

I did that and used a free temperature monitor program I found online to confirm my system was indeed overheating and shutting itself off after rising above its temperature limit. Installing a larger heatsink and extra cooling fans solved the problem for me in that particular case.

You're definitely either overheating the machine in some way (mem, CPU, GPU, motherboard chipset), overtaxing your power supply, or you have a bad component in your system (most likely memory). As ryew suggested, try cooling the system with a large fan first. You might want to vacuum out any heatsinks in the machine as well, if they look dusty. If that fails, try using memtest to test all your DIMMs (http://www.memtest86.com/). If that's clean, perhaps your power supply cannot supply enough current during peak load.

I've had experience with bad memory and an overheating system before, and shutting down unexpectedly is a symptom of both.

Thanks all for your input, I think it can be problem with power supply, since i changed the source recently and this problem started after that. Can anyone suggest me, if i buy new UPS what i have to look in to specification so that power supply will not be a problem.

I will also check for overheating. Can you tell me the name of that program which is use to monitor heat of system. Also, i have heard that if system is overheated it cannot be switched on till it cools down, but i am able to switch on my system as soon as it gets switch off.

Edited by Ankit Sinha