Which FX Houses have Houdini FX TDs?

magneto

Paris - illumination mac guff ( despecable me 1 & 2 ) also use houdini a lot.

Paris - mikros image ( asterix animated movie ) also use houdini

we should ask confirmation to people working at weta now, but i heard they stop using houdini recently to focus

on full proprietary solver plug into maya ?

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 1

Spin VFX in Toronto has switched its effects from Maya to Houdini.

I will also add Intelligent Creatures in Toronto has a couple dedicated Houdini guys and I do believe that they are currently hiring.

Edited by Sierra62
  • Like 1

MPC use mostly proprietary solver, maya is more a gateway i think.

- fluid are essentially done in flowline

- RBD are solve in their own solver

as a side note the maya fluid solver is very good imo. what suck is the postreatment / rendering part.

But the velocity / density / temperature grid is very good for an old solver ...

Edited by sebkaine
  • Like 1

Are you talking about Bifrost or old Maya fluids?

My understanding is that if you are not hired as a Houdini FX TD, you will have to use Maya at work sometimes if they use it. I used Maya before not for FX but to develop tools, and it was a miserable experience. Any question I had like why does Maya not have a basic notepad like editor was "nobody uses it", or the endless command arguments of the ancient language even python was miserable.

Actually I started using python in Maya first and I thought I hated the language but it was Maya's implementation that blinded me. Python in Houdini is actually very pleasant :)

So not sure if it's premature to refuse to use Maya, but I am sure most Houdini guys would agree.

Newly set up studio Kredenc in Prague. Currently just 2 seats, but evaluating for full use on a long term full cg project. So over next couple of months we'll probably go up to 3-4 seats. From Jan 2016 around 10-12 seats or 5-6 depends if we switch rigs to maya for animators. I'll be hunting in after summer ;)

• Like 2

And Glassworks too!!

We are now in the process to transition to Houdini and although may be a mixed environment with other 3D apps it is clear we can't do what we are doing with Softimage with other than Houdini so it is obvious for us.

uhh haven't seen that you now at glassworks.... but it makes sense you are the master of softimage to houdini transition for glassworks a solid candidate.... ;)  

good luck and don't drink too much free beer.....  ^_^

Good to know you´re not leaving Houdini, Jordi. Is Glassworks Barcelona going to do the transtition as well?  ^_^  

I imagine so (at different speeds), clearly there is no substitute for ICE so Autodesk has made the decision for us and everybody seems excited so let's see.

:-)

MPC in Vancouver and London uses  Houdini and Maya with proprietary solvers (Flowline, Kali).

MPC Montreal uses mainly Maya but trying to slowly integrate Houdini more (just now).

MPC NY and LA uses mainly Houdini for commercials.

Nice update, but Flowline is not a proprietary software from mpc, is from scanline, they are the only one external company that can use flowline.

And about MPC Vancouver a friend of mine told me yesterday that they use maya only,i do not know if all the mpc office are the same or depends directly what you supervisor want.