HOT for h12

thom

First of all wanna say thanks for the work! It works great except one thing. There is a problem with parameters of Ocean_Eval node in VOP. When I create any parameter for this node then it works wrong and gives me something very strange. If don't do this all works fine. I tried create constant and it also works right.

Does anybody notice this problem also? Houdini 12.581. Thanks in advance.

First of all wanna say thanks for the work! It works great except one thing. There is a problem with parameters of Ocean_Eval node in VOP. When I create any parameter for this node then it works wrong and gives me something very strange. If don't do this all works fine. I tried create constant and it also works right.

Does anybody notice this problem also? Houdini 12.581. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

it's not possible to modify ocean parameters on a per point basis. The ocean parameters are global parameters for each frame. If you want to create different ocean areas, you can modify the output displacement (e.g. modulate the choppyness depending on point attributes). Or you can blend between multiple oceans with different setups.

cheers,

christian

Hi,

it's not possible to modify ocean parameters on a per point basis. The ocean parameters are global parameters for each frame. If you want to create different ocean areas, you can modify the output displacement (e.g. modulate the choppyness depending on point attributes). Or you can blend between multiple oceans with different setups.

cheers,

christian

I've got you. I just guess that's more correct to make settings outside of vop. You can link it with other nodes, create digital assets and it will faster cook after parametr change. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

I've got you. I just guess that's more correct to make settings outside of vop. You can link it with other nodes, create digital assets and it will faster cook after parametr change. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Now I understand what you mean. I just tried to promote the ocean_eval parameter as a VOPSOP parameter and the re-evaluation is not longer working. You are right.

If I find some time I'll take a look at this.

Thanks.

Thanks, but when installing these I don't find them in Houdini...

I did set the houdini_path environment variable

bern

Did you use VEX_Ocean.so or SOP_Ocean.so? For VEX functions you need to have houdini/vex/VEXdso file with the path to the plugin (very good topic abut that). Or simply use any compiled version with all the extra stuff from HOT Google Code page. But just delete HOT_Cleave.so and replace VEX_Ocean.so and SOP_Ocean.so with the new versions. I haven't tested that way but it may work.

Edited by Green-Man

Did you use VEX_Ocean.so or SOP_Ocean.so? For VEX functions you need to have houdini/vex/VEXdso file with the path to the plugin (very good topic abut that). Or simply use any compiled version with all the extra stuff from HOT Google Code page. But just delete HOT_Cleave.so and replace VEX_Ocean.so and SOP_Ocean.so with the new versions. I haven't tested that way but it may work.

hello,

VEX Ocean (h_Oceaneval) works great.

Ocean SOP doesn't work.

using H12.0.543.9 ubuntu 10.04

thanks,

bern

hello everyone, let me warn you right away that I am quite new to all this so my questions will be of a pretty newb nature...

I have recently installed Houdini version 12.0.634 which I intend to use to create a nice 3D sea, and it seems that the easiest way to do so would be through houdini ocean toolkit...

From what i've read so far there doesnt seem to be a version of HOT fot H 12.0.634, but i can only hope someone proves me wrong and provides me with a link so i can access it.

I am supposing that the reason I am not being able to get HOT to work on my version of Houdini is because the version of HOT i am trying to use (HOT H12.0.581) does not work on the version of Houdini i have installed (H12.0.634).

Also I am unsure of how to "install"/add HOT to houdini, so, if the versions above are supposed to be compatible i would beg someone to provide, e with a step by step guide on how to "install" HOT properly on win7 64bit...

thank you for your time and sorry for my newbness

Hi,

you can use the latest HOcean build (12.0.581). It works with H12.0.634.

Just locate the houdini12.0 folder within your user home documents folder and copy the files into the respective subdirectories:

./houdini12.0/dso/hocean.64.dll

./houdini12.0/otls/HOcean.otl

./houdini12.0/vex/VEXdso

Restart Houdini and enjoy the ocean.

Cheers

hello everyone, let me warn you right away that I am quite new to all this so my questions will be of a pretty newb nature...

I have recently installed Houdini version 12.0.634 which I intend to use to create a nice 3D sea, and it seems that the easiest way to do so would be through houdini ocean toolkit...

From what i've read so far there doesnt seem to be a version of HOT fot H 12.0.634, but i can only hope someone proves me wrong and provides me with a link so i can access it.

I am supposing that the reason I am not being able to get HOT to work on my version of Houdini is because the version of HOT i am trying to use (HOT H12.0.581) does not work on the version of Houdini i have installed (H12.0.634).

Also I am unsure of how to "install"/add HOT to houdini, so, if the versions above are supposed to be compatible i would beg someone to provide, e with a step by step guide on how to "install" HOT properly on win7 64bit...

thank you for your time and sorry for my newbness

Edited by schnelli

Hi,

you can use the latest HOcean build (12.0.581). It works with H12.0.634.

Just locate the houdini12.0 folder within your user home documents folder and copy the files into the respective subdirectories:

./houdini12.0/dso/hocean.64.dll

./houdini12.0/otls/HOcean.otl

./houdini12.0/vex/VEXdso

Restart Houdini and enjoy the ocean.

Cheers

Let me thank you right away for your help

now, within the folder you just described i was unable to find the directories you mentioned, what i got in user/documents/houdini12.0 is the following: http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f108/M00nlight_Murd3r/?action=view&current=Hdocprt.png

Still i pasted the 3 folders into the directory but was unable to access HOT when houdini was running...

I found those 3 directories laying in Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 12.0.634\houdini but when i add the HOT files there i still cant find HOT anywhere within the program...

Just to clear things out, while running Houdini i press tab and try to find it there on the list of plugins (since typing its name returns no results)...

I am unsure as to what i did wrong, since all I did was actually follow instructions as they were written...

I hope you can further help me with this

Thank you

EDIT: I got it to work, thanks for the help

Edited by knightinflames

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...