Demystify Archviz in Houdini

neonbulbs80

Finally finished with texturing the room and props. I decided to take out the tin box inside the shelf and I'm going to replace them with toy boxes or books instead. I'd also thinking about modelling additional simple toys as additional props to add more compositions to the whole image.

For now the lighting are for test purposes only. I'd really happy with Houdini camera Switcher node, it's easy to retain different camera settings with only a single node and I'm just playing the camera framing for now for overall compositions.

I do still have some problems though :

1. Glossy reflections are causing small little white dots. I have increased the pixel samples to 16x16, but it only reduced a tiny bit. Is there any tips in shader wise or render setting wise to optimize this without increasing additional pixel samples?

2. In second shot the shallow depth of field causing a slight black fringe on top the hood. I used 3d depth of field from Mantra but I'm having problems to remove this. Is this got something to do with fresnel settings from Mantra Surface shader that I used?

Hope you guys can have any idea to help me with those problems. Meanwhile I'll be revising the lighting to have a bit more interesting look than now.

Cheers..

post-6390-0-63716300-1353856273_thumb.pn

post-6390-0-81825700-1353856302_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Just came across this dicussion and was instantly attracted because I love to do archviz in Houdini. I am not very good at it, just love to do it with Houdini. Two older archviz renders, all pbr in Houdini. At the Moment I can´t remember the exact settings, maybe I will try to find the scene files today.

Beautyw.jpg

Hotel_DOF.jpg

Edited by count_bobby

@count_bobby : Wow, those are great renders. Thanks for sharing them. Hope you can find and share to us render settings and light rigs that you used for those images.

I've done the final lighting and add up several objects for composition, still a bit more work to be done by adding up more objects and volumetric pass. Any suggestions are welcome :)

Cheers..

post-6390-0-52159600-1355016506_thumb.pn

• 2 months later...

Just came across this dicussion and was instantly attracted because I love to do archviz in Houdini. I am not very good at it, just love to do it with Houdini. Two older archviz renders, all pbr in Houdini. At the Moment I can´t remember the exact settings, maybe I will try to find the scene files today.

Beautyw.jpg

Hotel_DOF.jpg

WOW, nice renders!

I also would love to hear about those render settings and rendertimes.

Thanks for sharing the images.

Edited by Mzigaib

Ok, I found the old file of the restaurant scene. Rendered with PBR, 16 Pixel Samples / 4 min and 9 max Samples / Noise Level at 0.4 / Diffuse Limit set to 2

Lighting is one HDRI and several area lights in the windows and one in the room right of the camera, no portals. One direct light works as a sun. I rendered out the walls also as a matte to brighten them up a bit in post.

Render time at about 30 min on an 8-core machine

I was not able to find the kitchen scene though, but as i recall the render settings where almost the same as in the restaurant szene. One area light in the window and one bigger area light behind the camera. The render times I can´t remember, but I doubt that it was more than 30 min either.

I am planing to work on a new archviz szene and to post the WIP but as I do not want to hitchhike this post I will open a new topic for this.

• 4 months later...

Wow, can't believe it has been a year when I started this thread. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and information.

@count_bobby : Thank you for your sample renders, they look great and also your render settings information.

@rafaelfs : Thank you I appreciate it. But for now I'm going to hold that project since that are just for learning purposes. I'm now finally got the time and energy to actually doing the actual archviz scene starting from modelling.

After I got a place to settle now I can focus more on the actual archviz scene. I'm still in my modelling and layout stages. It's been really fun not just focus on rendering but planning the whole scene, and Houdini made things easier for me to experiment different things without even destroying what I have been worked before. Camera switcher is super awesome.

I'm planning to clearing up the modelling and layout stage by the end of this week. Check out my WIPs on my blog and feel free to give feedback.

http://neonbulbs80.b...i-layout_6.html

Cheers..

• 4 weeks later...

I'm finalizing the project now. It's almost officially demystified :P . These are the latest WIPs, still more to come for tweaking and do different lighting scheme like night time. Hope I'd be able to finish it with my tight working schedule.

post-6390-0-44919000-1375529594_thumb.pn

post-6390-0-96120500-1375529611_thumb.pn

Please feel free to drop a line for any suggestions.

• 7 months later...

Hey Donny,

Very nice work...I like the overall mood you're going for..

Some suggestions you might want to consider,

- The bump/displacement on the floor screen right bottom frame is a bit too eye catchy? Could reduce or its scale is a bit too large perhaps?

- I would try to play down the reflection/specular on the smaller vase screen right

- probably breakup the reptition on the sofa texture as its seems to be reading quite a bit after considering DOF

- maybe you might want to consider shifting your keylight a bit so that the floor near window/coffee table might catch some of that cool looking venetian blinds light to tie in better with whats happening on the wall and sofa

Hope that helps  :)

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure of the exact render time, I set it to go overnight and it was done in the morning but the render scheduler keeps counting even after it's done  :wacko:

The resolution was 2560 x 1030, so I guess that's not too bad of a render time.

yes, 46x46 was pixel samples.  It is quite high but usually needed when doing DOF in Mantra, especially with a shallow depth of field.  You kind of have to brute force it with a lot of pixel samples otherwise you will see noise in areas heavily blurred by DOF.

The settings could be optimized greatly but it was just a let it run overnight and see what happens kind of thing.