Houdini 13 Wishlist

LaidlawFX

• 4 weeks later...

Mantra Speed Improvement.(this will always be the request).

Uber Shader (mantra surface shader is in the right direction but a lot of improvements to be make) (i.e more polished like vray shader).

POP and DOP speed in general.

straightforward and user friendly for all kind of instancing work-flow.

Volume rendering Speed Improvement.

1 ) A point display for volumes: each voxel displayed as a point, with or without transparency.

2 ) A "safe mode" for the GUI that doesn't use any OpenGL, so people can actually work

even when Houdini's build and/or OpenGL drivers are buggy.

attribute tracking mode

I thinking it will very helpful that tracking node attribute flow. And visualizing which node hold or change some attribute.

(like performance monitor but mask controller inside of network editor will be better)

the wireframe vop, I'm guessing introduced sometime in h11, is a notch in the annoying direction.

Afaik it was there for at least H8!

Wireframe renders should not be a multi step setup. Or need a special render like wren(I hate maya vector too for this use).

but it's not. WireframeVOP is a base for a single step renderings, It renderers as a material in Mantra, allowing you to control wireframe width and opacity, frontface/backface removal, mix with standard shading, all sort of things. It's not a shader though.

Edited by SYmek

2 ) A "safe mode" for the GUI that doesn't use any OpenGL, so people can actually work

even when Houdini's build and/or OpenGL drivers are buggy.

You already have the system variable HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE that lets you force the use of unaccelerated, software OpenGL.

On my ThinkPad X220T, which only has Intel graphics, this is how H12 starts anyway (and a dialog at startup tells me that it uses software OGL).

You already have the system variable HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE that lets you force the use of unaccelerated, software OpenGL.

On my ThinkPad X220T, which only has Intel graphics, this is how H12 starts anyway (and a dialog at startup tells me that it uses software OGL).

HOUDINI_OGL_SOFTWARE only works on Windows, because Windows has such a software emulation mode. AFAICT, Linux/OSX on the other hand do not have such a mode. Well, there's the new Gallium3D architecture, but I don't know what type of support that has.

.. ok , i surrender . here my wishes expressed in year 2012 .

- not only a robust and stable usage of a graphic card

, but more and more (almost)RealTime results from its resources . why not as final versions ?!

- bring back attention onto the compositing context .

it 's a pity looking at what the current state , usage and performance of COP context is ..

, while interesting things are happening ' around ' : Clarisse , this toy here -

, etcetera - etc ..

- i wish there was an 'Highly_Corruptible_Mantra_Branch( TM )'

, optimized in setup and performance for motion graphics , arch-previz , and similar 'non-respectable-jobs' .

- smarter and more productive workflow in general . a thick book can be written about this ..

--

p.s. an Open Question indeed , > is houdini targeted to (really)small studios / individuals ?

.cheers to all

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

p.s. an Open Question indeed , > is houdini targeted to (really)small studios / individuals ?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: depends on the individual. Sometimes I have the impression that people confuse the term "individual" with "casual user". Truth is, a competent Houdini individual with one computer and one Houdini license can produce incredible output, both in regards to quality and quantity. Probably more than with any other package in the same context (one man, one computer, one license).

How easy is to have a competent Houdini individual is another story. I do see however a lot of really competent, senior Maya TDs getting into Houdini and being really good, really fast. So maybe the important word here is *competent* in 3D.

Afaik it was there for at least H8!

but it's not. WireframeVOP is a base for a single step renderings, It renderers as a material in Mantra, allowing you to control wireframe width and opacity, frontface/backface removal, mix with standard shading, all sort of things. It's not a shader though.

I just want an out of the box, drop it down solution, that looks nice. Finding the stuff you need years after you've been working in something is maddening sometimes, like that time was.

• 2 weeks later...

The ability to display procedurals on some level in the viewport would be very useful. If not the shading properties then at least surface colour.

Does anyone else still miss the shader view a little bit? IPR view is great but a realtime or close to realtime view for vops shader work would super nice.

...hair guide styling...

Mabye this is a partial reason why fur tools havent had major updates and a program like Blender has (with it being open source). Not sure if Modo managed to find a way around the patent or maybe purchased a license to utilize the technique. From what i see its the concept not algorithms that is patented.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=1048283

Edited by phrenzy84

Mabye this is a partial reason why fur tools havent had major updates and a program like Blender has (with it being open source). Not sure if Modo managed to find a way around the patent or maybe purchased a license to utilize the technique. From what i see its the concept not algorithms that is patented.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=1048283

i hope its not, and i hope sidefx finds a way around, but man - what a discusting thread to read....