simulation of destruction

almatea

Very cool, I could watch that stuff all day! :D

The peek into your process is really interesting, and I agree it would be great to hear more workflow details of how you set up the different elements (brick/stucco/wood) for simulation and render time displacement if you were interested in discussing it.

Have you tried this workflow with Houdini 12 yet? How do you think the integration of Bullet in Houdini 12 compares to your custom solution?

Awesome work again, almatea - thanks for sharing!

Very cool, I could watch that stuff all day! :D

Thank you!

Have you tried this workflow with Houdini 12 yet? How do you think the integration of Bullet in Houdini 12 compares to your custom solution?

I think that my engine and integration of Bullet in Houdini 12 solving little bit different tasks. Houdini integration of Bullet is very nice but sometimes you need little bit more flexibility at low level and more speed with thousands and thousands pieces of geometry. Houdini solutions give flexibility but not always it mean high speed.

I do not tried to solve destruction tasks with Houdini's Bullet but I believe that it will be possible.

Edited by almatea

very impressive stuff, it reminds me of some of the tools used to create 2012,

If I remember correctly they used prefracturing and lots of constraints and created similar destruction sequences.

amazing work keep it up :D

very impressive stuff, it reminds me of some of the tools used to create 2012,

makingof videos of 2012 inspired me when I created my tool

If I remember correctly they used prefracturing and lots of constraints and created similar destruction sequences.

I choose little bit different way. I used compounds and calculated a graph of linking for pieces instead natural constrains.

amazing work keep it up :D

thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Need to append for your question. Yesterday I tried native tools of Houdini 12 and it was look good. Constrain network tool is very similar to an my graph of connectivity (but I constructed this graph with help of Bullet collision test functions).

There is small trouble with lost impulse after breaking a piece to 2 piece - then each of small pieces lost their speed but I slove this moment with DOP trick.

I think it is possible to use native Houdini 12 tools as good destruction engine!

Edited by almatea

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing stuff!

Can you provide some info about displacement shader?

I really have no idea how to build similar thing.

You need displace for only one plane. For example, this may be plane of wall or plane of some wood-plank. Also it is necessary to correct texture coordinates with respect for displacement.

That was really sweet! I love the level of detail. I am just learning how to do destruction with Houdini 11. I have tried having the fractured RBD geo interacting with the dust cloud however the simulation freezes up. How did you handle the dust clouds?

That was really sweet! I love the level of detail. I am just learning how to do destruction with Houdini 11. I have tried having the fractured RBD geo interacting with the dust cloud however the simulation freezes up. How did you handle the dust clouds?

Thank you!

Just bake SDF for all solid objects. I believe you can find a lot of examples in help system or ths forum threads.

• 4 weeks later...

There is small trouble with lost impulse after breaking a piece to 2 piece - then each of small pieces lost their speed but I slove this moment with DOP trick.

I think it is possible to use native Houdini 12 tools as good destruction engine!

Hey Vladislav,

Great tool!

..About the lost impulse on breaking glue objects in H12: Would you mind sharing your dop trick on how to make it work? :)