simulation of destruction

almatea

• 3 months later...

You need displace for only one plane. For example, this may be plane of wall or plane of some wood-plank. Also it is necessary to correct texture coordinates with respect for displacement.

Hey,almetea,very nice work.Here is my file for displacement test on specific direction,say world x,could you give some suggestion.

As for details it would be very nice that SESI implement this http://ken.museth.or...-etal_SIG12.pdf

This can already be done since H11/12.

We did something very similar for the destruction of Wrath of the Titans when Kronos wakes up, with the exception that we ofcourse did not have access to the nice new opensource volume format that Dreamworks released. The big advantage of this format is the adaptive level of detail for surfacing and storing volume data. But even if you use the brute force approach volumes that are currently in houdini, you can get good result polyreducing the high res volume converted pieces. -- Also since last siggraph Houdini now supports openvdb, I haven't had time to look into it that much but the functionality should be there.

Also if you do happen to be near LA, Ken is actually going to give a course on this on the 27th of October (I'm going):

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2241&Itemid=215

It would be great if it is possible to apply volume fracturing on render time.

It is no problem to add some details on SOP level (after cracking or inside cracking process). There is a few approaches to do it (see picture).

But if you have a lot of pieces (>10000) it is too heavy geometry for extra cracks details. And too long time to process.

post-4210-0-84849000-1350313451_thumb.pn

Edited by almatea

almatea,

can you share a hip of how you did that volume fracturing?

It is not volume fracturing. I just deform geometry before cracking and restore P after.

Also I plan to make some tutorial soon and may be some masterclass about destructions.

Edited by almatea
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It would be great if it is possible to apply volume fracturing on render time.

It is no problem to add some details on SOP level (after cracking or inside cracking process). There is a few approaches to do it (see picture).

But if you have a lot of pieces (>10000) it is too heavy geometry for extra cracks details. And too long time to process.

It is possible to apply a displacement shader which roughens up the edge cracks at render time using some custom vector calculations. Compensating UVs for the space shift is beyond me though.

• 10 months later...