Houdini12 Flip Customize Resize

Neil

My first shot.

i'v seen a few of Flip or naiad test videos about ship sail on the water.

In many tests, they build a large scale fluid tank so the ship can goes farther but with lots memory cost and time waste.

My goal is optimize this,

i created a customize bounding box to limit the Flip and parent the bbox position with the ship.

so i had a constant memory cost wherever my ship sail.

lucky it works!! my ship sail on the ocean without the default volume limits..

dd.jpg

Hip i uploaded at #4

In the next step, i'll try to use the velocity field to auto-resize the flip , so that even the ship sail with different speed and turn around, my boundingbox will still match perfect.

i think i also need a minimum and maximum set when ship doesn't move or move too fast.

Bad english.. :P

Edited by Neil
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

hey man that looks awesome!

could you maybe explain a little bit more in detail how u did it.... or maybe post a basic hip that shows the basic set up....

really cool idea!

Oh and I have one more question.... does someone know how to extract only the top side of the particles... What I mean is only the part of the fluid sim that is deformed.... so that it is just a deforming grid basically...

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had a closer look at the hipfile, I find it very clever indeed. I'm currently simulating it with 20.000.000 particles and there are artifacts showing around the edges of the container where fluid is sourced. Some work has to be done to turn this into an easy to apply HDA, but it definitely shows the potential of this approach. Things become considerable more complicated when your boat has to turn, or how when you want the container to scale automatically according to the ripple that you create.

For those who used the first iteration of the FLIP solver, doing something like this used to be unthinkable. Having a container, was a problem on it self, but this ... Things like this show the terrific progress that SESI made with this iteration.

Tnx Neil! :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Great work! Thanks for sharing the hip! really helpfull :)

I have loaded the file into houdini 12.5 apprentice, but when I sim I dont get any new particles added to the Flip ;( Is this a problem with 12.5 or Apprentice?

post-9434-0-44251300-1364987398_thumb.jp

Thanks for your help

Graham

Great work! Thanks for sharing the hip! really helpfull :)

I have loaded the file into houdini 12.5 apprentice, but when I sim I dont get any new particles added to the Flip ;( Is this a problem with 12.5 or Apprentice?

post-9434-0-44251300-1364987398_thumb.jp

Thanks for your help

Graham

I don't know whats wrong, but if you delete the nodes that makes it an emitter - and then make it an emitter again, it works.

Hi

I have been able to reproduce the Flip resize in my scene but have hit another problem. If you add the new whitewater solver to add spray/foam/bubbles it only works within the original grid. I guess that we need to setup another resize on the whitewater solver. :(

Has anyone got this working?

Thanks