Houdini12 Flip Customize Resize

Neil

Hi, I also tried my luck with an auto-resize setup. Here's what I got so far.

post-3610-0-69586000-1369899680_thumb.gi

(click to see animated gif)

I went with sourcing particle volumes only on areas that the fluidTank box haven't filled yet.

The setup doesn't require manipulating the underlying flipSolver.

Although I'm not particularly sure if the flip simulation is actually advecting the particles properly.

Something is just a bit odd about the fluid movement, I just can't quite put my finger on it. >__<

Any insight would be appreciated :)

auto_resize_jefflim.rar

Edited by galagast

Something is just a bit odd about the fluid movement, I just can't quite put my finger on it. >__<

Any insight would be appreciated :)

The fluid doesn't rush back in to fill the space behind your moving object, so it seems very thick/viscous and slow-moving like thick mud. I haven't checked your file but perhaps look into your viscosity settings?

hmm.. I took a second look at the settings (I actually have the viscosity disable) and found out that that was probably due to my scene scale.. the boat is like 30 meters long, and the realizable box is around 100.. I could try doing another test with smaller (speed-boat) sized objects..

I also did a small comparison test just to see if the fluid behaves differently if I'm using auto-resize and not.

post-3610-0-65931900-1370226466_thumb.gipost-3610-0-65931900-1370226466_thumb.gi

So far, the simulation seems similar enough to warrant an acceptable comparison.

I kept getting problems with adding whitewater to the resizing fluid, so I tried another simpler method.

I animated two boxes moving along with the domain. The front box adds fluids and the rear box removes fluid(sink). It works well for fast moving domains. I have attached a file so you can see setup:-

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73974952/TrackingFlipFluid.hipnc

Example on vimeo:-

https://vimeo.com/64140693

Graham

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I kept getting problems with adding whitewater to the resizing fluid, so I tried another simpler method.

I animated two boxes moving along with the domain. The front box adds fluids and the rear box removes fluid(sink). It works well for fast moving domains. I have attached a file so you can see setup:-

Graham

Hey Graham, that looks great! I'd love to look at that file, however your dropbox link is down for me. Is it still available?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Graham

hi,Gramx

Thx for your  sharing. I  have checked your hip file and got some question here.so ,if you don`t mind,please give me some hints.Thank you~

1.I found that your flip container  is  still  and straight,what if my boat drive like the picture followed ?Dose it still works?

post-11444-0-58224100-1405219204_thumb.j

2.Can you tell me how to add extra velocity field to make more turbulance around the ship?  a simple hip file would be great!

3.my english is bad,can you forgive me ? :D

Best regards! Thank U