make object phantom and matte

Im trying to a rendering method I would usually use in vray (and perhaps Im wrong in going about it in this way...)

I want an object to be a matte object (black in render and 0 Alpha) but also be textured (as a constant shader with a texture map) so it will show up in reflection and refractions (secondary rays).

I can assign the object a constant shader with the alpha set to 0 and I get the correct reflections and alpha, but the object shows up in the colour channels.

Im not sure how to combine the two methods.

If you go to the object, Render - Shading - and check the Matte Shading box, the object will be matted out (zero alpha) but will still show up in reflections.

If you want reflections only, there is a 'phantom' check box, but this will not give you the alpha matte.

Apply your material as usual, and toggle Matte Shading on a Render/Shading Tab of the object. Mattes sets color to {0,0,0,0} for primary rays, but works as usual for secondaries (they are like phantoms, except phantoms are invisible for primary rays).

Apply your material as usual, and toggle Matte Shading on a Render/Shading Tab of the object. Mattes sets color to {0,0,0,0} for primary rays, but works as usual for secondaries (they are like phantoms, except phantoms are invisible for primary rays).

Thanks guys, thats the checkbox i was looking for :)

Now I wonder if there is a way to capture the reflections off said matte object at the same time, like the shadows are captured on a matte/shadow shader.