Jordan Walsh

Object Mask passes

cwalrus    9

Hi guys! Very helpful post, thank you.

I'd like to apply a similar technique to particles - i.e. color them R, G or B depending on their Pop_Stream. But I'd like that to be an extra image plane. I tried the above technique which works great for objects, but not particles?

It should work fine, just use a bind export in you shader exporting to something like "rgbMatte" and hook up your colour attrib (dosnet have to be named colour, but must be what attrib name you have on your particles). Just make sure you have rgbMatte as one of your AOVs. The biggest problems you will come across are not matching up the names and data types properly, then you get black AOVs.

cwalrus    9

Thanks Jordan.  I'm actually not using any shader, because I want to use the colors that come right out of POPs... but I assume I can work around that.

Well even if you "dont" use a shader, one is assigned by default, your colour just overides the diffuse colour of that shader. You might be able get something out of the standard set but its easier to assign a shader and set your AOV outputs inside. I dont think you can get a Cd export by default.... could be wrong

cwalrus    9

Hey mate- so it worked, finally! I had to do some tweaking that even I don't understand... 

But, why can't I just make an attribute called "foo" for a group of particles, and then make a simple AOV that is a white matte for those?  

Here's the project if anyone wants it:

ParticleMultiMatte.hiplc