Help me with procedural modeling

jayopa86

Hi everyone,

Its my first post since I signed up here. I'm totally new to Houdini I'm just working on a procedural building I've modeled the basic things and created my parameter interface but the biggest problem is linking the parameters between them. Now I can control the heigth, length and depth of buildng also when I give some width tobuilding the copies of windows increase accordingly however when I increase the heigth of building it does not. So I need some help or these kind of problem. I,ve problem with roof windows, the facade windows and also with the gutter holes. if someone can help I would appreciate! I will upload my hip file so whoever wants to give a hand can look at my file :)

PS: Roof windows copy number and the gutter holes copy number supposed to increase with the building width slider. Windows, roof windows and gutter holes supposed to follow floors slider

Thanks All,

Cheers

problem.hipnc

Make it so that your windows are copied on points of another shape. For example a grid. This will make it much easier to control the amount of windows depending on the buildings height. This would also make it much easier to have a varying door position as well.

Avoid the cookie sop in a procedural system because it is not stable. Rather try to construct the shapes you need. Hole, triangulate2D, poly extrude, ray sop etc.. can provide strong alternatives.

Avoid polysplit since it is "destructive" in your procedure.

Set more relations the roof windows could take the height of the "group1" to make sure that they follow the height of the building.

Hi, this is one of the ways.

I changed the approach a bit. No of floors equal to no of copies of windows and size of building is equal to max y of windows + some fixed no(so that the last window doesn't touch the top of building, you can create para to control this number on digital asset)

This is just one of the ways there can be different solns to this. You can set the width of building with similar approach(bbox expression will be helpful) . Wherever you see fixed numbers used as multipliers you can replace them by creating para on digital asset.

soln_01.hipnc

Hi, this is one of the ways.

I changed the approach a bit. No of floors equal to no of copies of windows and size of building is equal to max y of windows + some fixed no(so that the last window doesn't touch the top of building, you can create para to control this number on digital asset)

This is just one of the ways there can be different solns to this. You can set the width of building with similar approach(bbox expression will be helpful) . Wherever you see fixed numbers used as multipliers you can replace them by creating para on digital asset.

Thank you for editing it I didnt know the bbox function before :) Hoever I've got two other questions now my gutter holes are disappeared and my roof window numbers are not increasing what should I do ? :)

Quick fix. Please refer file. Not a complete solution (not clean as well ;) need to tweak the expressions and the numbers to get better results) but just to give you an idea. With similar approach you can place the gutter holes. Roof window, width of building /2* xsize of the window == total no of roof windows.

And distance between each roof window == 2.5 times the xsize of window.

You can change these expressions to get the desired number of windows.

Also Height of the building is dependent on number of floor and height of the window as suggested in previous post you can have similar approach for the width of the building.

soln_02.hipnc

Edited by sadhu

Quick fix. Please refer file. Not a complete solution (not clean as well ;) need to tweak the expressions and the numbers to get better results) but just to give you an idea. With similar approach you can place the gutter holes. Roof window, width of building /2* xsize of the window == total no of roof windows.

And distance between each roof window == 2.5 times the xsize of window.

You can change these expressions to get the desired number of windows.

Also Height of the building is dependent on number of floor and height of the window as suggested in previous post you can have similar approach for the width of the building.

I'm sorry I'm replying a bit late cuz I fall a sleep:( You are awesome! thank you so much you made my day today... Now I will digg the file.