We are using depth map shadows and "Depth Map Motion Blur" is turned on. However it does not really make a difference in this case if I turn it off.

Somehow it seems as if the opacity of the samples is not correctly considered and thus the brightness is adding up.

I attached a REALLY messed up testcase. You should render frame 7 and 8 to see the effect.

mb_problem.zip

Edited by dennis.weil

I think I solved it. It was a combination of motion blurred shadow maps, velocity motion blur and deformation motion blur that somehow seemed to render at different subframes and got out of sync. Disabling shadowmap motion blur helped which makes sense as MP only shades one time (at shutter opening i think) and then drags the shading.

Yes, this is what I came to also, that's was something wrong with deformation blur and depth maps (seems like turning on ray trace shading on a object helps), except to me it looks like frame 7 is darken by double shadow, not 8 lighten by lack of it :)

edit: it reminds me to say, how awesome is to have deformation blur working with fur. So much nicer motion blur!

Edited by SYmek

Yes, you are right. Frame 7 got darker and not the other way around ;)

Deformation motion blur on fur is definitely very nice and it feels that it's not much slower than velocity blur or no blur at all. Another benefit is that it matches the blur on our characters perfectly.

Edited by dennis.weil