Rotating Pyro Grid

Jordan Walsh

Coming from a FumeFX background where you can rotate grid freely I was just wondering what do people do when they want the grid rotated (say 45 deg in the Y) for a more efficient sim (eg, long thin line of fire on a 45 degree angle)?

Surely the answer isn't to rotate your scene geo+ camera pre sim then rotate the results of your sim post sim is it?

+1 for what Bloomendale suggested -- I only came across this a few months ago when I accidentally left the mouse over the position data path for too long. I thought it was more complex than that. It's not. That being said, I think it should be in there by default.

• 2 weeks later...

well, actually not everything is working always, I still prefer to transform object and transform back after the sim.

Example file that shows incorrect sourcing of velocities.

the "position" node is bypassed, try to activate it and see that the velocity is not computed correctly

volumeOrientBUG.hip

Edited by MENOZ

well, actually not everything is working always, I still prefer to transform object and transform back after the sim.

Example file that shows incorrect sourcing of velocities.

the "position" node is bypassed, try to activate it and see that the velocity is not computed correctly

Good to know!! Has this been reported as a bug by any chance?

yes, I reported it months ago, but I don't know if it's in progess of being solved, or if they give more priority to the bugs with more reports.

Maybe if someone else will report it again it gets more interest from sidefx??

I reported it again.. They asked for an example file and I sent them the one you attached to this thread.. hope that's cool.

I'm curious what is intended behavior of field with Position data provided. As said in help card transform is going after sampling. And it works so if you apply position data to one field. I attached simple example.

Then it should just sample anything in world space (let's say box at origin) and then applies Position data:

m_20130125-egxa-60kb.jpg

To get this behavior all you need is uncheck "SOP Output is in simulation space" in all Sop solvers in Fluid Source DOP because we don't need double transforms from sop solvers and Position data of the containers.

But if it should transform container without touching its data then it have to do it before sampling or resample all data.

So i think 1st behavior is what was planned.

3ak_fields_Position_data_PROBLEM.hipnc

Edited by bloomendale

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Heya I know this is an old topic, but I'm having real trouble in sourcing velocity in world space and then it having very strange behaviour in the Pyro sim when transforming the bounds with a position DOP.

It seems to stamp the velocity into the sim in the correct world space (ie after the bounds has been rotated by the position DOP), but then it evolves in the sim as though it were traveling in the direction of the bounds before the position DOP rotation is applied.

It's hard to explain and I can't upload an example right now, but I wanted to check if anyone has found a modern solution to this (Houdini 17.5) with the newer volume sourcing nodes?

Cheers!

Ok so I just realized that on the DOP import fields SOP, when "transform by position data" is on, it doesn't transform the vector of the vel field correctly, the workaround is to turn that off, then convert to VDB, make sure it's transform type is set to "velocity/displacement", and then manually transform the frids back into the space

• Like 1