Slowmotion FLIP - am I doing it right?

Skybar

Hello! I wanted to do a watersplash in slowmotion, to keep it simple lets say I'm dropping an RBD sphere with some initial velocity into a tank of FLIP fluid. That works great, all splashy and fine.

Then I wanted it in slowmotion, so I lowered the timescale of the DOP network a lot (to around 0.05) - but the thing here is that it slows everything down. The sphere is no longer splashing down, it's more like it's being gently put into the water - barely disturbing the surface at all.

So, I then tried upping the Time Step to the value it had before lowering the timescale. So basically I have the same Time Step (around 0.04) as with the original simulation, but with a much lower timescale (0.05).

This does seem to work the way I want it to. But, is this the "right" way to do a FLIP (or anything inside a DOP network I guess, smoke/fire and so on?) simulation in slow-motion, while keeping the same look it had in realtime?

You can simulate your Flip sim in real time and retime after already cached sim.But for retime you should turn on in FLIP SOLver - Particle motion tab - Add id attributes and in Reseed tab turn off Reseed particles. After chache your particles to disk --> load them -->append time blend sop and after time shift sop.Delete current expression in time shift node put key in the 1 st frame and for example in the 100 frame ( 1st frame will == 1 cached frame but in 100 frame write for example 50 ) .Think it should help to achive your goal.And don't forget check your interpolation curve and modify it if you want in Channel editor.

Small Hip file included.

flip_retime.hip