prt export from Houdini 12

Hi everyone,

I've been interested in exporting prt files from Houdini for a few years. Previously I used the free h2k plugin (http://code.google.com/p/h2k/) , but it hasn't been updated for H12 yet, after several years. I've dabbled in C++ off and on for a few years also, but I'm not yet at the point where I understand how to update the code to work with the new geometry library.

So, I am wondering if anyone here is interested in working on this? It's probably something that would be useful for a lot of people...

Guest xionmark

I have SOPs to do this but recently found the PRT format wasn't needed anymore.

Unfortunately I can't remember where I found that so I don't know if it's true or not ...

--Mark

As far as I know, if you want to render with Krakatoa, prt is still the fastest and most robust file format. Though Krakatoa can also read realflow .bin files, is that what you were thinking of Mark?

Ceegee, thanks for the link, though when using Krakatoa usually the particle counts will be extremely high, so a python solution probably isn't optimal.

Guest xionmark

Yea, I think it was the real flow import I was thinking of.

PRT files are much lighter than real flow bin files (you have a choice of which attributes to include).

If it's *really* needed (by more than just a few people) I suppose I could post the code.

--Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes i think prt for houdini is very interesting, because now you can do amazing flip simulations, and sometime clients want to render in max or maya, mesh with Frost, use for some postproces in Max...

Igor

Well, right now we're in the HDK forum which has a limited audience... perhaps we could make a post in general discussion and see how many votes of interest there are for this?

If it's *really* needed (by more than just a few people) I suppose I could post the code.

Guest xionmark

Well, right now we're in the HDK forum which has a limited audience... perhaps we could make a post in general discussion and see how many votes of interest there are for this?

If you'd like to ask in a different forum, that's fine but I would assume most people look for unread posts vs. following a particular forum.

Anyway, it'd be interesting to see if it's really needed.

--Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...